Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anovice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 12:33 PM
    What is the best temperature to keep a server?
    What is the best temperature to keep a server? I work for Peace Corps in
    South America and it is about 84 degrees year round and very humid. Our office is airconditioned, but running AC is extremely expensive. My IT guy keeps the room with the server in it extremely cold. Is this necessary. Is there a optimal temperature for computer equipment?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 12:45 PM

General recommendations suggest that you should not go below 10°C (50°F) or above 28°C (82°F). I would not go much colder because as it gets colder things contract, that can cause a lot of problems with very precise computer parts, especially hard drives.

Good rule of thumb is temp for computer is normally a temp that is comfortable for humans. Room should be temperature/humidity controllled.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anovice View Post
    What is the best temperature to keep a server?... Is there a optimal temperature for computer equipment?
    Most equipment specifications list a temperature operating range, usually somewhere around 50-95 degrees Fahrenheit as well as a relative humidity range around 20-80% noncondensing. In your case, the humidity could be more of a problem than the temperature if the A/C doesn't dehumidify the air well.

The equipment's interior case temperatures are the temperatures to be concerned with. For example, in a poorly ventilated rack of servers, the interior case temperatures can be quite higher than the ambient room temperature and cooler air would be needed to compensate. Alternatively, if the rack and/or the equipment itself is force ventilated, adequate cooling can be achieved with higher ambient air temperatures. So, the "correct" answer is whatever temperature provides for proper cooling of the equipment. In practice, I set the thermostat around 70 degrees to be human comfortable and add additional forced ventilation if necessary to keep case temperatures within required ranges and to limit excessive fan noise and wear. Hardware monitoring capabilities built into the equipment help in this regard.

Also see Recommended Data Center Temperature & Humidity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Server 2003 use as a router and connect susulinux server [ 1 Answers ]

I have configure suselinux 10.0 webserver with two nic one ip:192.168.1.3 sub:255.255.255.0 And another is 10.10.1.3 sub:255.0.0.0 and primary dns server(suselinux 10.0) 192.168.1.2 sub :255.255.255.0 and secong dns server(suselinux 10.0) with differenet ip:10.10.1.5 and sub:255.0.0.0 Now one...

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

How to make Cleints server from Main server? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having Internet connection at one computer and I want to share the internet with other computers. Will that is possible the same connection is used with other 4 to 5 computers or at least one computer.

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

View more questions Search