Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scout101798 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Hepatitis infected lab
    My 8 year old lab was recently diagnosed as being in the final stages of liver failure. He was put on some meds... And I was told that he could have a couple of weeks to a couple of months to a year to live. The vet said he most important thing I can do is make him eat. Well, I have tried everything... and he still barely eats... and now to top it all off he has been constipated for 5 days... We are desperate.. any suggestions?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 26, 2006, 05:06 PM
    I am so sorry to hear the bad news about your dog. I have a lab too. I would attempt softer foods, bland foods, even a broth only not hot obviously in order to up the fluids. I would also suggest calling your vet back as they know the dog better. I wish there was more I could offer here.
    Saluki-Sue Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Jun 26, 2006, 06:57 PM
    I would be trying anything that you think your pup would like. Maybe go get a burger or two from a fast food place or some frozen yogurt at this point your goal is to keep your kid eating and anything is better than nothing. As for the constpation call your vet and ask if it is OK for you to give your pup a "FLeet enima" or if it is OK to use glyserin sapositories (sp). My old boy is 13 and was diginosed with cushing sysdrom 5 years ago and it is just now taking it's hold on him... he to suffers from cronic constipation and I give him an enima about every 4 days. I also cook for him... oat meal... meat ( what ever I have in the freezer for humans to eat)... chopped spinch... butternut squash I get the frozen and put it in after the meat and oatmeal is done cooking... helps cool the food down as well. Then just before I feed my boy I add 2 or 3 table spoons of plain whole fat yogurt.

Good luck
    scout101798 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 08:07 AM
    After 6 days the constipation has finally ended. I credit this to the puréed pumpkin Scouts vet recommended. However, he still barely eats. Today I plan on adding oatmeal to his boiled chicken.. rather than rice. Thanks for your help, and concern. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Its been 2 more days and my dog still won't eat. I tried oatmeal, rice, chicken, hamburger, cottage cheese, "Frosty Paws" , Homemade beef & veggie soup... Im desperate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hepatitis c [ 2 Answers ]

Current treatments for Hepatitis C? Vitamins or natural products that can help?

Infected with spyware [ 6 Answers ]

I have all the symptoms of spyware infection... Is there such a thing as free anti-spyware and where can I download it? Thanks

View more questions Search