Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
    To spank or not
    I am having a great deal of problems trying to figure out how exactly we should dicipline our children. My husband believes in spanking yet rarely has to because the kids really listen to him. I think a good swat on the bum might be okay but I would like some other opinions. Thanks.:rolleyes:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 09:28 AM
    I agree with you and your husband. My wife and I believe in spanking only for repeat offenses where other punishments have not worked - or for very serious infractions.

About age 8 is where we stopped spanking altogether with our kids.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 26, 2006, 09:31 AM
    I think spanking is OK as long as it's not in excess... I mean if my kids run out in the road I'm going to swat their little butts and they're going to hear about it. I think that spare the rod and spoil the child is a bad thing... look how kids act this day and age. My mother was brought up that way and she's just now grown up enough to realise life isn't handed to her on a silver platter.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 09:37 AM
    I have a 5 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. We have never spanked either of them and they are the sweetest kids you'll ever meet. I believe our success lies in the fact that my wife and I are on the same page as far as parenting goes so we are consistent with our views towards the limits and discipline. I have had to forcibly remove my older one from the mall twice because I told her "If you don't stop that then we're leaving." - she didn't stop so we left. I knew that when I had kids I did not want to be that 'empty threat' parent that you see so often - if I say I'm going to so something then they know I'm going to do it.

To each his own but if the child has consistent parenting from both parents you may find that spanking may not be necessary.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aqua@home
    You answered another question about at the age you stop. What do you do after that?
    After age 8 we focus more on withholding privleges: Grounding them to their room, the home or the yard, No computer, No video games, No TV, etc.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
    I agree with every answer here. Karma, you are an oddball with most of your views (just kidding) I have done the same thing, remove the children from the situation rather than spank.

However, I do believe in spanking if the situation warrants it. If your child puts him/herself or another in danger then it is okay.

As I said, I do believe in it, although, like Karma, I have not had to do it.

I did spank my daughter once, she "ran away" once when she was in first grade. An older girl talked her into it, Rae did not really understand what she was doing. But they went into a stranger's house. So... I spanked, and spanked. I have never had the need to raise my hand again.

Consistent parenting from both parents is not always possible, especially if you are in a monitary situation that requires one to work horrific hours so the other can stay home with the kids. But, the parent who does work must agree with the discipline tactics of the parent who stays at home.

As Karma says, "empty threats," they are just that, if you do not back yourself up and follow up with your threats then the child will know how to push your buttons and your child will be in a world of confusion.

Spanking, yes, if the circumstance requires it.

In your case, since we don't know circumstances, it is hard to say whether you should spank or not.

Jun 26, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Thanks, I don't want to beat my kids and I would never use anything other than my hand. I do want my children listen and understand.

One of the things that is going on right now is my 7 year old grunts, groans, moans, complains and just plain *itches every time we ask him to do anything. His job is to unload the dishwasher and if he complains about it, we offer to give him another job. Well, my husband has had enough and says we should just spank him. Our son should be able to do his job without complaining. The kids should do what they are told, shouldn't they? Maybe a couple of spanks and he would see that we are serious. Am I wrong?

We try to do appropriate punishments here.
    -If you have disrespected your sister, then you can give me a list of 10 reasons you love her.
    -If you are caught fighting then the two of you can do something constructive together. e.g.. Clean the bathroom
    -If you hurt someone you can help them. e.g.. Make their bed for them

Stuff like that.

It's the whining and complaining that really has me stumped. Their mouth can drive me nuts.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 09:58 AM
    For not unloading the d/w I would not spank... but would say "You can go out and play only when your job is done".
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Ah, I hate the whining and complaining. What I do under these circumstances is add another job. If the whining continues, another job is added and so on. They then become aware that unloading the dishwasher is easier than unloading the dishwasher, cleaning the toilets, and sweping the kitchen floor.

I keep to my word too. If the moaning continues I make sure that all jobs assigned are done to my specifications otherwise the job must be done over. Yes, there is whining, but it should only last a few days if you stick to your "guns" so to speak. If you give in, your kids will know it and will take full advantage of it. If the moaning bothers you, go into another room while the job is being done so you don't have to listen to the whining.

Yes, a swat on the hiney may make him realize you are serious, but under these circumstances, I would just assign more work.

Jun 26, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Rick,
    Aaawwweee, positive reinforcement. Good one. I'm glad you said that. Maybe it is better to reward for good behaviour. Again, the key would probably be consistency.

This is a very tough juggling act.

Jun 26, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Maybe a combination. You can complain and get more work or you can just do it without the grumping around and then go do something you really want to do.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Well I guess I'm an oddball like NeedKarma because I don't spank either. I have been pretty tempted though, especially lately!

I might spank in a situation like Janine described... if the child puts themselves in grave danger. I would want them to remember a situation like that so they wouldn't do it again. I wouldn't spank for whining, though. I have a whiner (almost 5) who also used to throw bad temper tantrums, but my way of dealing with it is to ignore him completely. I don't acknowledge the whining at all, with any kind of attention, bad or good. I will walk out of the room, talk to someone else, pretend he isn't even there. It sounds mean, but my mother recommended it to me and it actually works very well. As soon as he speaks in a normal voice again I acknowledge him. I've found that he whines a lot less now. It's taken a lot of patience but it's working.

I also take away privileges, as Rick and others mentioned. If the kid continues to misbehave I continue to take away privileges until they have nothing and have to start earning everything back... I learned that from Dr. Phil, haha. But it seems to work, too. My 9 year old nephew is staying with us right now, and we've done that with him. When he first arrived, he was probably the worst behaved kid I've ever seen (! ), and since he's the oldest child, the others were all following his lead. Over the course of 2 days or so we have stripped his room of all the stuff he likes, his games, books, etc. I feel especially mean doing it given his recent circumstances, but it was obvious he was trying to run the household, and we had to stop it before it got worse. This morning there was a real difference in him, and he asked (nicely, wow!) how he could earn back his stuff.

Regardless of whether you spank or not, being consistent, following through on threats, and the adults being a united front and agreeing on discipline are all really important. And really hard to do, but definitely worth the work.

Jun 26, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Regardless of whether you spank or not, being consistent, following through on threats, and the adults being a united front and agreeing on discipline are all really important. And really hard to do, but definitely worth the work.
    I think this will be what I can stick to the most. I will have to work on this one. Consistency, consistency, consistency. We are united for the most part. My husband tends to say things when he's angry. We will keep working together. It is hard when you are alone for weeks on end but I guess that means I should get away from them for a little while. I think it would mean a much better me for the kids. They know I am not consistent and they feed on that.

The problem I have with taking things away, is where do I put it? Where do I put all of the stuff I am taking away? I think deep down I am kind of a softy.

Great advice everyone.

Jun 26, 2006, 03:02 PM
    I forgot to ask..

Today my 11 year old daughter came home with a grade of 61% on her science test.

She doesn't have trouble in school, she was just too lazy to study. This is not acceptable in our family. Her friend is having a birthday party on Friday. Any ideas of what a fair punishment would be?

*I thought maybe grounding from the party and for the weekend.
    She was so upset and she had no idea what to expect as a punishment and I think that was frustrating for her. (Like Dr. Phil says "children should be able to predict the consequence to their actions 100%. Mine obviously can't.)
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 03:15 PM
    Well, 61% is that so bad? Really? My daughter (12) is a straight A student and she came home with a 57% on a Science test. No, I feel that it is not acceptable, but I do know that she studied and knew the material, but the test was rough. She punished herself worse than I could.

You cannot expect perfection. If you punish her for one grade you will harm her ego. As I tell Rae, "I know it was a bad grade, and you don't have many, so I am sure it will not happen again."

Your daughter was probably embarrassed to bring that home. Remember, psychologically you can do a lot of harm to a child by punishing and rewarding for grades. Really, 61% on one grade, will that make or break her for the year? Nah, it won't let her punish herself. It is actually worse than what you could do.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 26, 2006, 03:24 PM
    This one is a tough one. I like all the answers given. I don't think any of them were necessarily right or worng because each child is different. Need and Orange, I don't think you're oddballs because that is what works for you. I believe in spanking but also not in excess. I also believe you need to be consistent with the punishment or at least follow through with the punishments threatened at the time. I am going through a similar thing with my 2 1/2 year old. He blatenly disobeys me. I have spanked him more than I have wanted to but not hard just a little swat. He hates it when I do it but goes right back at it. We have taken away toys before. We also try to give our son positive reinforcement when he does good things. We try to praise him when doing good and even give him back one of his toys we took away if he has been good. We also explain why we are giving this back. Some say he is too young to understand but I think he understands enough to know what is good and bad behavior.

I would keep the spanking at a minimal. Like Rick said, for repeat offenses.

Jun 26, 2006, 03:53 PM
    J9, I wouldn't be punishing so much for the grade except that she admitted to be lazy. She didn't study, didn't even try and that's the part that I think we need to deal with. That's the frustrating part. (Maybe I should copy the test and make her do it again after she's spent a little time on it... maybe not?) You are right, she was very upset when she came home from school.

PS... this has been happening a lot this last month. I know part of it is it's June and the kids just want to be enjoying the weather, and schools almost done, and...
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 03:53 PM
    The problem I have with taking things away, is where do I put it? Where do I put all of the stuff I am taking away? I think deep down I am kind of a softy.
    We put Liam's things (and the other kids' things, if and when they get taken away) in the closet in the master bedroom. The master bedroom is off limits to the kids when we are not in there. This sounds way harsh, but it was my mom's idea... she said if they "steal" the things back, throw them in the garbage or donate them to charity!! So we've told Liam that if he takes something back without permission he will never see it again. Of course I wouldn't do that with a very personal item like a diary or something special given to him by his mother. But most toys and games are not like that and can be easily replaced.

I understand being a softie, I certainly feel like being less tough on him and the others, but with 6 kids in the house there has to be order and consequences, otherwise I think we're all going to go insane.

Today my 11 year old daughter came home with a grade of 61% on her science test.

She doesn't have trouble in school, she was just too lazy to study. This is not acceptable in our family. Her friend is having a birthday party on Friday. Any ideas of what a fair punishment would be?
    I wouldn't punish her, either. If her marks are consistently good, this might be just a one-time event, or it could be due to stress or some other problem she's having at home or at school. I would explore all those possibilities before concluding that she's lazy. If you're certain she's being lazy though, I would just tell her that I expect her to get a good mark next time. And I would supervise her studying, to make sure she's putting enough time in, tell her she needs to study before watching TV or calling friends, etc. And if the marks continued to be bad, I would hire a tutor. I don't think punishing her is a very good idea in this situation, because if she has any aversion to studying at all, punishments will just make it worse.

Jun 26, 2006, 03:59 PM
    Too much rep. sorry.

Chava, you have a good point about making studying a problem for her. That is something I do not want to do. I guess I will just have to make sure she studies. I will have to make it more of a priority. Time, time, time, something we never have enough of. Thanks again.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    To each his own but if the child has consistent parenting from both parents you may find that spanking may not be necessary.
    Well said!

I agree with this post.

I don't think spanking is necessary.

Personally, I believe it sends the wrong message. How is spanking your child OK, yet hitting a classmate is wrong?

What if your child then went and spanked a class mate when they did something wrong?

There are plenty of ways to discipline the kids without spanking.

As NeedKarma said, back up your threats. If they are going to leave the mall, then leave. If they are going to miss a hockey game, then they miss it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search