Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 27, 2006, 03:06 PM
    Jon, we've been trying that. We take toys away, make him sit on the couch. We only use spanking as a last resort. Time-outs we haven't used as far as sitting in a corner. He is a little hyper so that'll be a little more work. I feel like we are losing control and I don't want to have a spoiled brat. On the positive side, he (they both) are really good kids. He just goes in spurts with his misbehaving. Thanks for your input.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Jduke, he sounds like a really smart kid! It could be a phase that he's going through... my friend had a terrible time with her daughter having tantrums, tried everything and nothing worked, but since she's turned 3, the tantrums have just basically stopped on their own. So hopefully it's something he will outgrow, too. Being consistent is best, no matter what discipline methods you are using. Also, considering how smart he sounds, he may be picking up on the fact that you are frustrated, and acting up to get more attention. The laughing part definitely sounds like he's enjoying pushing your buttons!
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 27, 2006, 03:22 PM
    I am hoping too that it is just aphase. You might be right, he might be picking up on my frustration. Maybe I should cool it a bit or even ignore some of his behavior and see how that goes. He definitely does like to push my buttons.

Oh BTW I do have a very smart boy. I may go and see if he is a genious :p

Thanks for the compliment and support.

I hope aqua_home is getting something positive out of this. I didn't meant ot take over her thread.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 27, 2006, 03:44 PM
    jduke44, you go right ahead. I can't think of all of the questions. I am glad others talk, I can learn from what you all have to say. As far as I am concerned it is not my thread, but here for all of us to use. I'm glad to see I am not the only one with questions.

I know this is a little off topic but I thought I would thank you all for listening and answering. With this particular thread it has almost been like a parenting group for me. When I am at my witt's end, it's nice to see there is help. I don't feel alone because it seems, there is always someone online. I can't always phone my husband or a friend at 2am, but someone is on here. Thanks again.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 27, 2006, 03:53 PM
    I am just waiting to tear my hair out in the wee hrs of the morning after the twins get here... I just hope that I have enough energy to get up and vent to you guys cause there really isn't anyone else to talk to and get soooo much from at any hour day or night... only nine weeks or so left before that happens...
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 03:54 PM
    If its necessary, spank... but don't abuse. My parents spanked me and I am thankful for the way they raised me.

What's interesting (and why I said "If necessary") is that in the 8 years my daughter has been alive, I have never needed to spank her. I have slapped her hand when she was really young but once she hit the age of about 4, she listened. She has a wise soul and just seems to know better.

I think I still got the belt when I was like 12.

Yes, I know some see the belt as abuse.. it only happened once and it was because I was playing with fire in a dry area on the 300 acre ranch that I grew up on. And I am still thankful for the way my parents raised me :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search