Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jlynn88 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
    I purge myself.but I'm not bulimic I don't think
    Okay, so I have been dealing with overeating and the vomiting on and off again for about six years now, but I have never had a serious problem with it. I will go through spurts where I will throw up a lot, but never over periods of two weeks before I give it a rest for a while. I usually don't throw up more than once a day... right after a big lunch, or before bed. Should I be concerned? I don't think that I am bulimic because I don't ever loose weight doing it, its just that sometimes I can't stop thinking about it until I throw up. I know that what I am doing is stupid, but at the same time it kind of keeps me sane. Today is my fourth day in a role throwing up at about 1 oclock in the afternoon. I went about two weeks without throwing up, and it just hit me again at the beginning of the week. I have discovered ways of hiding my problem. I always run the bath water when I throw up... strip down to nothing, and use my toothbrush. I usually piddle around in the bathroom for as long as I can to avoid throwing up.. ill look in the mirror at myself in the nude for a while... pick at myself, and then just work up enough strength to purge myself. I don't like how it feels to throw up, I just like the empty feeling I get after I throw up. I hate the way that I look, I'm overweight, and I can't ever seem to loose it the right way. My boyfriend is skinnier than me and it drives me crazy. How come I don't ever continue throwing up for more than a week at a time? Is this problem serious enough to get help? :confused:
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Nov 21, 2008, 02:37 PM

YES!! This problems is very serious and you need to get help..

That is not healthy behavior.. you're harming your body greatly by doing this.. if you continue this you will burn your entire esphogous away from the stomach acids always coming up and you will die..

This is life or death.. speak to someone who you trust and ask them to get you some help
    Stryda23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2008, 03:54 PM

Heya, the behaviour you are exerting is in fact bulimic. Do you decide not to eat as well or is it simply the purging process?

My ex girlfriend is bulimic, you're best bet is to talk to someone about it and go and see your doctor. These guys know what they are doing and can help you out a lot =)

The fact that you only do it every so often shows that you have some control over it, but it's behaviour that you shouldn't be doing:

a) it is incredibly dangerous and bad for your body
    b) you won't lose weight in the way that you believe you will - the longer you do it, you'll suffer burns from the stomach acid you keep bringing up, the back of the enamel on your teeth will start to corrode, and you'll suffer from a lot of vitamin and mineral deficiences.
    c) you can say bye-bye to a healthy period and possibly even the chances of having children

The body is very good at maintaining itself in a constant - temperature, water, looks, everything. It knows what's best for you and how best for you to survive. You're basically destroying your body and the natural flow of how it looks after itself.

Chances are you have a delusional view of your body, and I can assure you that you are NOT as 'fat' then you believe yourself to be. Why do you think the fact that your boyfriend is skinnier than you bothers you anyway?

Your best bet is to see a doctor and they will refer you to someone who can talk to you about your problems. Go for it, they're not scary and they're here to help =) Hope this helps, be strong and question yourself as to why you're even acting the way you are.
    Stryda23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Also, forgot to say that if you really want to lose weight, you're best bet is to take up some exercise - go swimming, start a new sporting hobby or go to the gym. These will all be good for you and won't risk you damaging your body =) in fact, they will make you're body stronger.

If not, or like me you're pretty lazy :P perhaps try eating everything you normally eat, but just a little bit less. Instead of a whole dinner, have half a dinner, or instead of that whole chocolate bar, have half and save the other half for another day. Best diet there ever was! Screw the Atkin's or any other rubbish - just eat a little less than you normally would!

M
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 04:07 PM

Yes, you are bulimic and you need to get help. As stated by others, this is a serious problem. If you are constantly thinking about it, covering it up, then yes, you do have a problem. This will only get worse, please seek proffessional help.

Good luck.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 04:24 PM

Your description of your bathroom ritual brought back many unlovely memories I have tucked away. I won't give you horror stories about your esophagus and teeth. Those may end up being symptoms, sooner or later.

Right now, you have an issue with being okay in your own skin. Purging is power. When your stomach is empty, you are "in control." After the puke ritual, everything is okay... NOT.

Join a support group where you can talk candidly about your behavior and how you feel about your body. Bulimia is a powerful habit, it can eventually kill you if you let it have it's way. Get healthy and talk to everyone you can about your secret. Most of Bulimia's power over you is enforced by the secrecy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to stop being bulimic [ 21 Answers ]

I am finally admitting to myself that I am bulimic and I need help. I have never told anyone this, or let anyone find out. It started a couple years ago as I was deperately trying to lose weight for my wedding.. well I did. I lost 35 lbs in 7 months. I told myself I would stop after the wedding,...

Going crazy over bulimic ex girlfriend [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm not one to ask about problems online but I've had ongoing problems with an ex girlfriend and I need some advice on what to do. I'm 19 and in my 2nd year at uni. This is a massive post so thanks to anyone who reads all of it =) I met the ex in question when I was 15, and we dated...

How to become Bulimic? [ 40 Answers ]

I was wondering on how to become bulimic? I am a little over weight and I need to lose it, and I think that would be the easiest way to lose weight fast. I think I can control myself after I get to the point of where I want to be. I just can't remember what you do. Can anyone help me?

16 year old bulimic [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16 and I have been bulimic for almost 2 years now. I have of coarse noticed changes in my body. However, lately, I have been experiancing pain in my sides. Kind of where your kidneys are, and it feels tender, it hurts when I put pants on. Is this normal for bulimics? Or does this have to do...

View more questions Search