Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelehamilton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Pension and re-marriage
    hi i am divorced now for 3 years in my agreement i will recieve 50% of my ex-husbands pension when he retires, my question is am i entitled to his pension if i get re-married? i have heard i won't please help me clear this up. thank you:)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michelehamilton View Post
    hi i am divorced now for 3 years in my agreement i will recieve 50% of my ex-husbands pension when he retires, my question is am i entitled to his pension if i get re-married? i have heard i won't please help me clear this up. thank you:)

What does the divorce decree say? I've seen it written both ways - pension if remarried, no pension if remarried.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 10:04 AM

Yes, you have to go back and check your divorce paperwork but having such a clause in there would be unusual in my opinion. A marital interest in a pension is a property right just like anything else and you should be entitled to it whether you remarry or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

Her pension vs no pension [ 1 Answers ]

My friends is getting divorced and being sued for infidelity. His wife has a great teachers pension. What percent do you think he may be entitled to. The point is they have 2 houses and land, but she is the bread winner. He wants to keep the primary home. They live in NY. I doubt the charge...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

View more questions Search