Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemistmba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Return after extended absence
    After my last layoff, I elected to stay out of work for four years and devote my time to my family. I need to go back to work now. The economy is as bad as I have ever seen it and opportunities are thin. I'm healthy, well educated and have a decent work history otherwise. How do I best address questions about the down time?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 06:13 AM

How do you address your down time? Well I think you did it aptly, devoting time to your family is a really good reason, especially in our fast paced work environment. You need not feel ashamed, when asked, to say that.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Nov 23, 2008, 04:58 PM

I believe it was Will Rodgers who said, "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember what you said.".

Tickle is correct. There is nothing wrong with your work history. If some company has a problem with it, you didn't want to work for them anyway.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Nov 23, 2008, 05:22 PM

I agree with both, but especially the first response. How do you explain 4 years off? 4 months maybe.
    There is nothing wrong with devoting time to your family. I have turned down 2 different positions and one job, that would pay me considerably more money, but would take me away from the family. I had to weigh it out and the family won. My teens now, I think, got the better deal and I hope they will be grounded adults that dad was around. In a few years I will think about moving up the corporate ladder.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 05:41 PM

You got a good answer, tell them the truth, The main thing they will be worried about is not your 4 years out, but if you may decide to quit and go back home. So making sure they know you are committed to moving up that ladder is important.

Just remember it is just tough out there right now, so you may have to send out 10 times as many resumes before you find something right now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visitation after 4 year absence (maryland) [ 7 Answers ]

My husband has a 7 year old son. He exercised visitation for the first year, then did not see him at all for 4 1/2 years, by his own choice (obviously a very bad one). Two years ago he contacted his son's mother to resume visitation. She was understandably apprehensive, but finally agreed to...

What rights does a tenant in NY has in the absence of a lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a tenant renting an apartment in a private house and my landlord did not give me a lease, said it was not necessary. Now she has given me 1 month notice, staing effective NOV 1, the rent will be increased by $75, also I hve to pay the same amount towards my security deposit. I am currently...

H1 B Leave of Absence [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently working on H1B visa. I have obtained admission into a full time MBA program that would require me to go to F1 Student status. However, my employer has offered me a leave of absence so I may be able to return back to them after my MBA. In this situation, do I need to change...

Parenting Time after 4 year absence [ 3 Answers ]

Seeking advice/input on a couple of things... I was served custody papers this week for my (almost 5-year-old) daughter. The father wants e/o weekend visition (Friday eve - Monday eve). In the short term, I'm not opposed to her having a relationship with this person however I am opposed to...

View more questions Search