Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Nov 21, 2008, 04:16 AM
    Thinking about trying speed (amphetamines)
    Ok I'm 19 years old and I'm curious about trying speed or ecstacy. I have used marijuana before (frequently - now only a few times a year) and I would just like to experience something new. Is this too dangerous or to big of a risk to be taking? Or given I was to use it only occasionally is it OK to try this? What are your honest thoughts? I really want to understand that world of drugs and don't want to be a hypocrite and tell people its wrong when I've never tried it myself.

Nov 21, 2008, 04:22 AM

Also is it even possible to use safely? Or am I playing with fire? How are my chances at coming out of this without a dependence. Oh and I have known many people who have used drugs (still do) and have read up a lot about it. I am trying to make an informed decision, not just throwing caution to the wind like some young girls with no idea of what could happen. I look forward to your responses.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 04:33 AM

My honest thoughts, well your statement that you don't want to be a hypocrite and tell people its wrong when your have never tried drugs before seems to lack maturity. Making an informed decision is not trying something so you can have the experience but reading and watching.

Here is the 'dope' on amphetamines:

# Medically, forms of amphetamine (e.g. Dexedrine) are used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). In the 60s and 70s it was the diet pill of choice, often dispensed by doctors like candy, without any understanding of the damaging psychological and physical side effects it induced.
    # The illegal street version of amphetamine, i.e. speed, is often "cooked up" in a dangerously explosive, "homemade" laboratory, to produce a powdered substance that can be inhaled, snorted, injected, smoked, or swallowed.
    # Speed is a stimulant. In general, it causes euphoria, although repeated, excessive use can result in Anxiety, panic attacks, hallucinations, and other forms of mental and extreme emotional distress. Medically, amphetamine affects the part of the nervous system that "revs up" the body similar to adrenaline.
    # It is extremely psychologically addictive (intensely craved), but it is not physically addictive like narcotics, such as heroin (physical addiction means, an individual becomes ill when he attempts to discontinue a drug).
    # Nevertheless, it tends to have a devastating, negative impact on one's lifestyle, health, and work.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 21, 2008, 04:40 AM

Well I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say stuff like this but drugs and alcohol have torn my family a part, I'm 16 years old, and no I have never smoked drugs or tobacco and I never drank in my life. Do you have parents, brothers or sisters I can tell you right now that maybe doing the drugs might not hurt you but I wish that people would think about what its doing to their family. I know my older brother's didn't know what it was doing to us, and I know my dad doesn't know what his drinking does to us.

I know that I sound crazy and this is your choice but for me to sit back and watch my family disintegrate, it killed me. I can't trust people anymore, my new saying is everyone lies. And it was my own brothers who taught me that everyone leaves, and when they left and at the end of the day its me I'm the one who's left to pick up the pieces. And yet somehow I feel responsible for this, and my mom well let me give you a bit of her back round, she no longer goes to work, because of a disease that can not be diagnosed, although the doctors think its MS.

Please before you go to do drugs again just think about your family.

And I don'T normally do this but if I can save one family, one person from the pain that I feel everyday then its worth it.

For about a month after my brothers moved out I didn't talk to the older one at all, it killed me, we used to be so close, here si a poem of my thoughts about the first 2 weeks.

My Unsent Letter

I knew someday
    You'd move away
    And I knew nothing I could say
    Would make you stay

I'ts been 2 weeks since we last spoke
    2 weeks since my heart broke

Perhaps my greatist fear
    Is that I will be left all alone
    But my family is all I've ever known

It's been 2 weeks since you've been gone
    2 weeks and it hurts to know that you have moved on

My eyes have been open
    To how I've taken everything for granted
    And because of that its been hard coping
    But still I sit here hoping

It's been 2 weeks since I saw you go
    2 weeks ago

I'm writing this in hopes that it will make everything all better
    But I know it won't
    See you'll never even get to read it
    Because this is just My Unsent Letter

And here's another poem that I wrote about my hero, he's there for me everyday he's what keeps me going.

My Unsung Hero

I have an unsung hero
    A near and dear best friend
    And although everyone else around me leaves
    I take comfort in knowing he'll be with me 'til the end

Its him who keeps me together
    When life gets hard
    And when I am in danger he is always there to guard

He knows when I'm scared
    And even if no one else did
    He always cared

He know's if I'm sad
    And if my day was bad!
    He'll make me laugh, and turn it around
    He's my big fluffy clown

He taught me many valuable things
    Patience, love, and kindness
    And how angels don't always have wings

He's like my shadow
    Always by my side
    My sense of securtiy as well as pride

He does not know the joy
    He brings each and every day
    Or how his presence
    Keeps my fears at bay

I sit and watch as people leave and say goodbye
    As a lone tear escapes my eye
    But he's aways there to cheer me up
    He's my loving and loyal Husky Pup

Just think about your family it does affect them please...

Nov 21, 2008, 05:00 AM

I don't think either of you read my question properly, thanks for the "dope" on speed but I know those things. Facts and statistics can't quite match a personal experience. The experience is not in watching and reading, its in having the experience. Tell me you know and have experienced paris simply by seeing it and reading about it. I know I haven't. And rex I'm sorry your family left you feeling that way - drugs can have a devastating effect on people but let me assure you my family and I are very close. >

Nov 21, 2008, 05:07 AM

And they will know of my decision either way, and they know of my past use. I never hurt them like that through any of it. But I can relate to those feelings believe me and thank you for sharing. Tickle do you think it is wrong for me to tell you how to drive your car when I have never driven a car before? It isn't fair to do that to someone. What's immature about that?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 21, 2008, 05:08 AM

If your family is very close then keep it that way, you don't think my family was really close? Well we were.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2008, 05:09 AM
    At the end of the day if you are so weak willed as to even contemplate abusing ILLEGAL drugs, then you should be fully aware of all the repercussions that entails.
    Just looking for a "personal experience" has got to be one of the dumbest reasons I have ever heard. It ranks right up there with "my friends all do it" in utter stupidity!!

Drugs are ILLEGAL for a very good reason!!

Nov 21, 2008, 05:17 AM

What's wrong with wanting to try something new. Alcohol is a drug however it is socially accepted so its OK to try. I don't want to have a debate, I just want someone with personal experience in this matter to reply.
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2008, 05:25 AM
    *Head Desk*

Would you consider shooting up just so you can have the experience!?

Come on get a grip on reality here!!

If you feel you must screw your life up in this manner then feel free, but you will receive NO help from this site at all.

Nov 21, 2008, 05:27 AM

What is the reason drugs are illegal? Enlighten me.
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2008, 05:29 AM
    As you are clearly so well read you already know the answer to this question.

Nov 21, 2008, 05:33 AM

I assume your answer is because they are harmful, yes?
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Recreational drug use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nov 21, 2008, 05:45 AM

Explain to me why alcohol and cigarettes aren't illegal? Are they not harmful? They are a multi billion dollar industry and my guess is the government would love to cash in on harder drug money too, if they could. In fact in some places they do. Ever heard of San Pedro prison in La Paz? Read up on that. Also the book marching powder is an eye opener.
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_nicole View Post
    I dont want to have a debate,
    Nuff said really

Nov 21, 2008, 05:47 AM

Oh and how about some of your own knowledge - not something flogged off wikipedia.
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2008, 05:49 AM
    As you have clearly already made up your mind there is little point in this whole exchange.
    I have said what I wanted to say.

Nov 21, 2008, 05:49 AM

I am now happy to have a debate, however you don't seem to have much to say.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 09:32 AM

You are obviously an intellectual,deep in thought,thinking about this pursuit.

How can you intellectualize being "ABOVE THE INFLUENCE"

I am a survivor of this passing fancy of yours,want my nervous system, I'd happily exchange it with you,manic/depression isn't all that fun.

For YEARSI did this drug,(not saying you are going to),but,just how can you justify causing your 19 year old mental health to go through this unnecessary distress,is beyond mature thinking.

Your argument,If someone was to drive into a wall,would you need to experience it also?

Nuff for now?

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

Variable Speed vs. Single Speed Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Questions: Getting 2 new heat pump systems installed. 1.5 ton upstairs and 4 ton downstairs. Decided on Comfortmaker. Heat Load calc performed on sizes. Going 2 stage with variable speed downstairs with Honeywell IQ Pro stat. Was going to go one stage with variable speed upstairs with...

High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation [ 1 Answers ]

I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he...

View more questions Search