Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andmar Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 01:42 AM
    Toilet floor flange is now level with new subfloor
    If we subfloor our bathroom with 1/4 inch it will make the toilet flange level with the subfloor. Should we be removing the flange and raising it with the floor?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Nov 21, 2008, 02:58 AM

If the existing floor is sound, perhaps you could cut a recess in the 1/4 and leave the flange and toilet as they are... Good luck...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 05:03 AM
    As long as it will be FLUSH with the floor..you should be just fine.

If you are still concerned, however, you can always purchase a closet flange extender kit (see picture) and install that to the old flange which will bring flange slightly above the floor.

Clean old flange very well and then install the extender. If the extender kit you purchase doesn't have the foam seal as in my pic. Below plan on purchasing a small squeeze tube of silicone to install the extender. If you end up using silicone to install the extender be sure to give it 24 hours before you install the toilet!

Let us know if have any other questions... ;)

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 08:17 AM

No, you don't have to do anything with closet ring. Just make sure you install proper height wax ring when installing toilet.

Nov 22, 2008, 01:22 AM

It is the top edge of it that is level with the floor now. It used to be the bottom edge that sat on the exsisting floor.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 01:28 AM

Your are fine... Don't worry, install the toilet. It will be perfect fit.

Nov 22, 2008, 01:43 AM

Thanks for your help. The photo was especially helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Install a Toilet when the Closet Flange is 1" Below Floor Level [ 19 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I live in a two story house on a slab. Recently, I had a problem in my downstairs bathroom. The smell of sewer gases was coming in the bathroom even though the P-Trap in the sink and the trap in the toilet were full of water. After calling the city to check my sewer line for a...

Installing toilet over new hardwood floors - flange is now below floor level [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a bathroom and replaced carpet floors with hardwood. This now puts the toilet flange below the floor level. Is there a thicker or additional flange to bring the connection (with the toilet) level up 1/2 to 3/4 inches?

Concrete slab:Toilet flange below floor level [ 4 Answers ]

I am Installing a hardwood floor on a concrete slab. In order for that type of installation I will need to build up the sub-floor with 1/4 plywood alone with 3/4 hardwood floor. I am installing this in the bathroom. The flange of for the toilet will be about an 1" below the floor level. How do I...

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

Toilet flange below the floor level- URGENT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I just quickly reviewed all postings here trying to see if I can find an anwer to my question, but some things are too difficult for me to understand, as I am not familiar with the whole subject. I hired a plumber to install a new toilet in half a bath in the basement. The old toilet...

View more questions Search