Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ss411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
    How to answer a summons to collect a credit card debt.
    I received a summons to collect a large credit card debt I cannot pay due to financial hardship. How do I answer when I do owe the money but just have no ability to pay it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2008, 07:14 PM

Inability to pay is not a defense. Can you gve us more details about the debt and the plaintiff?
    ss411 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 06:11 AM
    The debt is a large credit card balance owed to citibank who is the plaintiff. I need to answer the summons and do not know how to. I haven't paid the bill in about 10 months and have no way to pay it.
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2008, 10:08 AM

You need to file a Notice of Appearance & an Answer with the court and mail a copy to the Plaintiff's lawyer. You also need to file & mail a Certificate of Service so the court knows you filed your answer w/ the Plaintiff.

In your "Answer" you can claim certain "affirmative defenses" that can help you in your case. It sounds as if the SOL is not up although there may be other defenses that can be raised, it is harder to fight an original creditor. There is a lot of advice at CreditBoards.com - Credit Help, Credit Repair Tips, News, Forums about possible defenses and you can purchase an "Answer" template at E-Document Package.

At the very least if you answer their claim and go to court you'll likely have the opportunity to arrange a payment plan and a reduced settlement. If you do nothing, they will win for the full amount.
    Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2008, 10:16 AM

Frankly, your best bet is to forestall the court case and try to negotiate a settlement.

As mir said its much harder to fight the original creditor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I contacted the lawyers for Capital One who issued me a summons for credit card debt. I offered to settle for the principal balance and they were only going to accept full payment, including interest and court costs. I am going to court to answer the summons today, but first I called the lawyers...

Summons for credit card debt [ 18 Answers ]

I received a summons for a credit card debt owed by my father who is incarcerated. He opened the account and asked for an additional card for me when I was a minor. I never signed the contract he is the only one that did as far as I know and I never gave them my social security number. I used...

Summons for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was served last night at my house from Capitol One. They are suing me for $2100. I know that I owe the money and want to pay it back. I have two questions. The first one is do I have judgment against me already or if I ignore the summons then they will place a judgment against me? My second...

Summons for credit card debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons for a credit card debt for a credit card my wife took out in my name a few years ago it for 3000 and some odd dollars she never made a payment on it when she tried to about ayear ago they refused it.I am on social security and we have had financial problems for years we filed...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

View more questions Search