Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teddy0bear Posts: 64, Reputation: 4

Nov 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Bring in the Mail
    I have friends and family come over for dinner or what-not and they often bring in the mail that is in our mailbox or on our stoop. This drives me crazy! I know they are trying to be helpful and all "oh, you have mail, let me bring it in for you as I am here so you don't have to". At the same time I'm not to thrilled of people taking things out of our mailbox. And bringing in the paper? We hate getting the paper, we never bring it in because we find they won't give us a new one if the old one is still there (it's a free paper so haven't mastered the canceling yet). When our visiting friends/family bring it in we be nice and take it in and put it in recycling as I can't well throw it back outside.

Am I the only one who is slightly offended by this act?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 06:29 PM

One time I saw a yard that had a toilet for the mailbox with a sign that said junk mail. Maybe if you have an unappealing box they will be grossed out to reach in it or you could maybe put a small lock on your current box. I see small easy key locks in the Dollar stores.
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 06:59 PM

Hi, teddy0bear!

You were looking for opinions. I have no problem with friends or family bringing things in who are wanting to be helpful by doing so. If it were someone that I didn't know who was trying to solicit something to me, then yes, I would have a problem with that.

Nice mailbox, N0help4u!

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2008, 07:17 PM

Actually your friends are breaking the law. A mailbox is actually the property of the USPS. For them to take mail out of the box is illegal. You might suggest to them, if they were caught doing it they could be in trouble.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 10:32 AM

This is a new pet peeve for the books. Although you might disagree, as a pet peeve, it's actually rather cute.

Of course, scottgem is right; you can't put your hands in other people's mailboxes. This doesn't really count for free papers left on your lawn, but in any case, you're either going to have to accept the situation or say something.

While I liked the idea of using a lock on your mailbox, unless your box has a slit for the mail carrier to deposit your mail, it might just work a little too well and keep any mail from getting to you.

Why not post a cute little sign on your mailbox? You might be able to come up with a clever phrase that gets your message across. This way, you wouldn't have to say anything directly to your friends and family. If they ask you what the sign is about, tell them that it was given to you as a gift, and you liked the idea.

One idea of a phrase might be, "men and girls that touch and steal, / keep your hands off of my mail." (it's a slanted rhyme, okay? I didn't promise greatness here.) :)

Of course, you could tell your friends that seeing the mail stresses you out, and that you refuse to even touch it outside of business hours. :) keep it light, and don't make it into a huge deal. I'm sure they'll understand.

Let us know how it works out!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2008, 04:47 PM

Yeah tell them the mail stresses you out so you only get it when you are mentally prepared to.
    I know that is how I feel about my mail.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 06:34 PM
    I think that your family/friends truly have good intentions. Next time say "Thank you, but I leave it in the box until I am ready to deal with it. That way it doesn't get misplaced." Then excuse yourself as you walk back outside and put it back in the mailbox.

As for the paper - tell them why you leave it out. I think it's a clever solution to the free paper issue.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 28, 2008, 09:18 PM

You could just get a post office box then file a change of address form. That way you just "stop getting mail" at that address and nobody knows any different.
    I did this because my family was always getting my mail, and they would lay it down somewhere and not tell me about it, and bills would go late, and other problems happened. The PO Box took care of that problem. And the fee is so small. ($21 for 6 months) That's $3.50 per month. The cost of a cheap cup of coffee.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 12:47 AM

When you are expecting company, empty your own box before they arrive and recycle the paper yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I bring back the old us? Bring back the long convo's and the activeness? [ 6 Answers ]

Bman 800 here call me bryan OK I've been dating the love of my life for almost six months and I have nown her for about a year now and I think the relationship is getting tired I am NOT breaking it off we love each other more than anything in the world she lost her virginity to me... I unfortunetly...

Should I bring it up? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am rather new to this site, and honestly not entirely sure on how helpful, or even how to post properly, so I guess I'll wing it. My girlfriend and I have been going out for about 7 months, and the topic of sex has only come up once, about two months ago. What I would like to know, is,...

Great Auto Response mail for Employee Suggestion mail [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As part of HR, I take care of the Suggestion Committee which encourages employees to post their suggestions through mail. The ideas are chosen after a period of 1 month by a pre-designated Committee. For every suggestion, we have to give a positive, motivating response in our...

View more questions Search