Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bleonard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 06:42 PM
    Daschund
    I have a five month old Daschund. Can you please tell me at what age will he be considered full grown??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
    My pups were not full grown until about 2 years of age.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
    I have a daschund and the body shape/size stops growing around 10 months, but the housebreaking and training took about 2 years
    TheEditor Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Daschunds to Dobermans - all dogs are physically 'mature' (full grown) between 1 to 1 1/2 years of age.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:44 PM
    There was an extensive discussion of this on another site with many good people knowing far more than average dog owners. None of us agreed. My conclusion is that larger members of a breed grow longer than the smaller ones. Larger breeds also take longer to mature. I would say he has most of his adult size now. You won't be able to see the difference unless you have something to measure him by. Since I have had Aster in the house to compare them to, I have noticed our last 4 puppies have grown more from 6-12 months than I realized they did.

An early switch to adult chow slows growth, delaying reaching full size. This is strongly advised for large breeds reducing stress on growing joints. With their back troubles, it might be a good idea for Dachshunds too. Avoiding overweight is important too, see LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund,daschund,daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it that I am seeing daschund questions so frequently? Has anyone else noticed that?

My daschund [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund that is about 2 and a half years old. She was a stray that dropped into our laps when she was less then a year old, she still had a puppy tooth or two. Anyway, I have noticed that she seems to go through cycles of itching on her back. She does not have fleas. IF I let her she...

I'm 12 getting a Daschund, hopefully... [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 12 (almost 13) and my Nickname (I will NOT tell my real name, first or last) is Kanari. I'm allowed to get a puppy for my birthday (Apr.2) but it has to be a golden retriever. We have a golden retriever already, and they are cute and beautiful and stuff (And we've had another golden retriever...

Help with my daschund [ 7 Answers ]

THis is my first dog and I've done everything that my moms told me to do with house training he goes pee outside then he comes inside and 10 minutes later I find a puddle, I'm starting to get fed up with cleaning it up all the time. What should I do? Oh and another thing HE TARES EVERYTHING UP!!...

New Daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, We just got a new little mini daschund, a male. WE have had him about 10 days and he just turned 8 weeks. We are doing OK with the pottie training but are having difficulty with the crate. Our breeder suggested paper and out side training and we were doing both.. Taking him out...

View more questions Search