Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjbug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Joint car loan
    My brother and his wife are now divorced in California. They acquired two cars jointly during the marriage with two joint auto loans. There was no mention of the cars in the written divorce decree. They verbally agreed to each take their own car and make the respective payments. She has not paid her car payment, so my brother has paid it so several months now. He cannot qualify to refinance her car in his name only. What recourse does he have? Can he sell her car while she has possession (he has the keys and knows where she parks it)? Can he ask that the lien-holder repossess her vehicle? His credit is already ruined because she hid joint bills she didn't pay. He doesn't want the car back, but just doesn't want the financial responsibility of the loan or the insurance. He knows he has to keep paying for her car if he doesn't want further damage to his credit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 06:22 PM

Remember if they repo it, they may still owe money most likely, sometimes almost as much as they do now.

But yes, he can be held liable, but he can sue her in court for the money. He will need to get with her, and take possession of the car and try to sell it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 08:48 PM

He can quit making payments and have it repo-ed
    Best to do only IF he doesn't care about bad credit
    But if his credit is totally ruined anyway it may be the best way out.
    But as Fr Chuck said they still can come after him for the money
    But it should only be the difference of what they resell it for and what is owed--I would think, but don't quote me on that!

He can NOT take the car if his name is not on the actual title itself or he can be arrested for grand theft.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 07:44 AM

In this day and age with the credit crisis we are facing, personally I would contact the lender, explain the situation to them and have them repo the car. Since the title and lien are in both names he cannot legally sell it without her signature. Which she likely would not give, so reposition is the easiest way out. If the finance company understands what is going on and if he is willing to make arrangements to pay it off they may not even report the repo to the credit bureaus. Really all they want is their money back.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 10:11 AM

His options are limited. He can simply stop paying for the car and let it get repossessed. Alternatively, and this is probably not worth the trouble, he could file a motion with the court (in the disso) and ask that the court order that she be solely liable for the debt on the car and the payments and reimburse him for any payments he makes on her behalf. This won't protect his credit or stop the lender from coming after him for a deficiency after a repo (if assests and debts are not mentioned in a divorce in California they can be divided in a post-judgment motion).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Co-Owner in Default of Joint Loan Joint Tennants [ 5 Answers ]

I own a house with my ex boyfriend. He left the relationship, the house (left on his own accord), moved away to another state and stopped paying anything for the house payment and HOA fees for the past 3 months. Technically, he has abandoned the property. The deed is Joint Tennants with Right of...

Joint loan enquiry [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a recently separated father of three . I have engaged in a financial loan with my now ex partner (de facto ) of ten years. Since our split she has requested that I make half the loan repayments on top of child support .I am struggling with this idea since she has retained possession of...

What is the process of Joint Home Loan Tax Benefit [ 1 Answers ]

Sir, I have taken a joint home (me +wife) loan , from LIC Housing Finance, for Rs. 22,25,000 for 20 yrs. Wife is primary and I am secondary loan applicant . Also for the property, she is primary applicant and I am secondary. I wish to know, that what is the process of sharing the Home...

Mortgate interest: 2 single people but have a joint loan, how do we do this? [ 5 Answers ]

If we are two single people but hold a joint mortgage, can one person claim all of the interest so long as the other does not? If the other will not claim the interest do they have to even report they own a home jointly? Thanks!

Joint Car Loan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a joint car loan. The other joint owner has no insurance and cannot make payments but has taken the car from my possession (recent meth user). Do I have any recourse in refinancing the car in my name (without the other person) and reporting the car as stolen or somehow getting the car back?

View more questions Search