Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khanno01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Lyman's Bay Cape Town South Africa? Where is it?
    I was wondering if anybody knows of a Lyman (or Lysman's) Bay off Cape Town South Africa.
    I am presently researching the voyage of the convict ship Guildford which travelled between Portsmouth and Sydney Australia between 14 May 1820 and 30 September 1820.

The ship stopped off for 14 days in August 1820 at Cape Town to resupply. The surgeon's log indicates that the ship anchored off Cape Town in Lyman (or Lysman's) Bay. He repeated this name 4 or 5 times during the 14 entries in August.

I have looked at every map I could find in Australia and have tried again and again to see if anyone on the web has any idea where this Bay is (or was?) positioned in reference to the present Table Bay. I have had no success.

It might be that he got the name wrong (and I could understand this if he wrote it once in the journal) but its repeated use stresses on me that he was convinced the ship was anchored in Lyman's Bay rather than some other Bay. The Bay must be close to Cape Town proper as the sailors appear to have rowed across to the Town.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who could help me with this.

Thanking you

Khanno01
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 07:11 AM

There is a Lyman's Bay near Kailua Kona on the Hawaii Big Island...
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Nov 21, 2008, 09:37 AM

Well, Googling it did no good, and a quick visual of the Cape Town area with Google Earth didn't show it, but I could have missed it. You might want to try a closer look yourself. You might keep in mind also that the name may have changed over almost 200 years... perhaps reverting to the original African language name, say, or Mr./Ms. Lyman fell out of favor with the locals and they changed it to another name, meaning you need to find an old chart. Perhaps it is simply too small a bay to merit notice now.

If you really want to go nuts over it, try searching with this. Maptech : Topo Maps Charts Navigation Software GPS and Online MapServer it's a bit clumsy, but (bless Maptech's heart) free and detailed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Investors For Restaurant in South Africa. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. A friend contacted me today and asked me if I can't maybe help him find a investor or investors for the restaurant that his opening. He had investors lined up but because one of there factories burned down they are unable to follow through with the investment. I have never done something...

Travel to South Africa [ 1 Answers ]

Is it ever possinbe to travel to South Africa with a child who is having a Portuguese ID or he will need a passport?

Stcw95 course cape town [ 1 Answers ]

Please give me details where I can do this course the cheapest in cape town. I am a wairess and wanting to work on the super yachts.thank you. sunette

View more questions Search