SSCOTT1979 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Tree cuting
    How short can a cratmertle tree be cut
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 01:45 AM

You mean 'crepe myrtle tree'. And here is the info for trimming:

To develop a tree shape, remove all limbs growing from ground level except the three to five strongest limbs. As the tree matures, remove lower, lateral branches (“limbing up”) one-third to halfway up the height of the plant. Remove branches that are crossing or rubbing against each other and shoots growing into the center of the canopy. Make your cuts to a side branch or close to the trunk. Head back wayward and unbranched limbs. As it grows taller, remove lower branches as needed. Remove any future growth from the ground to retain the desired tree shape. This basal sprouting may occur whether the tree is being pruned or not. Pull these out when succulent instead of pruning them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

How to get rid of tree roots after you cut the tree [ 1 Answers ]

We cut down some mesquite trees a few months ago. We would like to know how we could get the stumps to rot away. They are cut ground level. Do you have any suggestions.

Water cuting off and on [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, we have a well, and a couple of weeks ago the water would go off for a few seconds then then come back on. Didn't think much of it initially, but it started getting more and more frequent. Last weekend we took it all apart and bought a new submersible pump and pump control box or pressure...

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree?

The Tree Among Us [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a book about diversity. The title is "The Tree Among Us". It is about different kinds of people

View more questions Search