Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12stringbean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Circuit amperage
    If I have a 15 amp circuit does that mean I can only run one 15 amp rate device on that circuit? Or can I run any number of 15 amp or even higher amp devices, with wattage being the criterion for not overloading the circuit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Both amp load and wattage are used to limit load on a circuit, amps more often with electricians, since all wire charts , and many other restrictions are listed as amperes in the code books.

Wattage is the product of voltage and amperage, to allow for variables in both values. 15 amps at 120 volts = 1800 watts. #14 generally is wire is rated for 15 amps max, thou there are exceptions.

Increase in amps to 16 amps at 120 volts = 1920 watts. #12 wire is required for any load ove 15 amps.

Wire size is allowed to be smaller than logic is perceived on motors and refrigeration, so if one of those are your concern, let me know and we go over over those details.
    12stringbean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Both amp load and wattage are used to limit load on a circuit, amps more often with electricians, since all wire charts , and many other restrictions are listed as amperes in the code books.

Wattage is the product of voltage and amperage, to allow for variables in both values. 15 amps at 120 volts = 1800 watts. #14 generally is wire is rated for 15 amps max, thou there are exceptions.

Increase in amps to 16 amps at 120 volts = 1920 watts. #12 wire is required for any load ove 15 amps.

Wire size is allowed to be smaller than logic is perceived on motors and refrigeration, so if one of those are your concern, let me know and we go over over those details.
    Thank you very much for your reply. The reason I asked is that we are planning to buy a small generator for our camping cabin in the country and we have a small refrigerator. The label on the refrigerator says 40 watts. But it also says 15amps. The generator we are looking at has a 15 amp outlet. So I just want to make sure it can handle it and perhaps a lamp or 2 as well?

All the generator info that I find is relating to watts.

Thank you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote amperage rating for Ellington WC-100 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a ceiling fan and have been told by the ceiling fan company to use a remote made by Emerson called an SW-101 wall unit, that is rated at 1.25 amps. Doing a bit of research, I found an Ellington WC-100 that appears to be exactly like the SW-101. Does anyone know if this unit...

150 Amp Service Adding more Amperage [ 1 Answers ]

The house we are looking at to buy has a 150 AMp Main breaker box. Can this be replaced with a 200 Amp box to give additional capacity in terms of load? I am planning to build a workshop that will have a 50 AMP sub panel to provide 30 AMP 220 and several 20 AMP 110 circuits

Amperage lost from a current transformer to utility's electric meter(?) [ 2 Answers ]

I work for an Electric utility. Have noticed that the actual amperage running through a phase does not match the amperage being sent to the meter with it's proper multiplier from the current transformer (CT)? Example: phase A is using 83 amps. The X1 tap to the meter from the current...

Gfi circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if when wiring for 2 gfis for different circuits, do I need separate neutrals for each or just a common one

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search