Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bso Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
    A career and family
    This is my 2nd year teaching and I still feel farely new at this. I have some tricks and ideas up my sleeves but can still learn more. I am responsible for about 100 students. About 40 who are in the current bilingual program and 60 that have exited out. My question to teachers is how do you handle planning, a family, grading, all of it. I still find myself going in on Saturdays in which I can spend all day planning my lesson plans, grading until wee hours of the night, and feeling frustrated almost everyday because I do not have enough time for my own kiddos. How do you guys deal? Any advice?
    Thanks!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 04:40 PM

You will find the longer you are in it, the more you streamline out of neccessity. You will always be able to do more, but you simply have to draw the line at some point or you will burn out. This is likely part of the reason more than half of new teachers leave the profession in the first five years!

Make sure any work you assign is truly meaningful and beneficial. Sometimes work is given that it more busy work that just ends up causing you more work.

Ask co-workers, when possible and feasible, for ideas that they have found successful. No sense reinventing the wheel for a lesson if it has already been done for you. Check out the many sites online for teacher lesson plans for ideas as well. Then tweak what looks interesting to suit your needs.

If you have any volunteers at your school, take advantage of their help where you are comfortable. For example, I know some teachers have volunteers sometimes grade papers, but personally I don't as I always feel I have to go over them myself anyway since I am ultimately responsible.

Maybe try to have one or two days that you stay afterschool to do your grading/planning. Make those nights someone else's nights to make dinner at home or use it as a good excuse for easy meals or pizza! Try not to take anything home on weekends... (easier said than done, I know! ) Ok, try to limit how much you take home on weekends... :)
    bso Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2008, 08:36 PM

Thanks! I think what I have been doing a lot is assigning meaningless assignments and then later on find myself asking myself "Why did I do this?" Thank you very much for your much needed advice. The teachers I work with are great! They are always willing to help but their sometimes isn't enough time to get down to their rooms to converse. Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 09:32 PM

Your 2nd year sound similar to my 39th year. Yes, we do go in over the weekend and keep striving for improvements, that's what good teachers do. Teaching never has been a 9 to 5 job. I am curious what setting you are in since you deal with so many students. Our current building class size average is 21 per teacher, they come in over the weekend too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single family to 2 family electrical service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, first time posting to this site. I am changing an existing 200 amp service to a 2 meter service. Presently, the home added an apartment above the garage with its own 100 amp panel. The panel is served by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel. The homeowner wants to separately meter the...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Career or Family Which Should Come First? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for a year and a half. He has proposed to me and I accepted. He used to say me and my kids meant everything to him and came first. Now it seems his job, being on the ambulance and wanting to be on the fire department comes first. I think me and my...

View more questions Search