Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retired56 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Plasma TV
    42" Panasonic TV cutting out when turns off for a second when our microwave is turned on or our overhead sunken ceiling lights are turned on or off. We have put a conditioner on the TV plus a separate plug just for the TV and it is still doing it. The TV is only a couple of years old. It is hooked up to a satellite receiver which is about 8 years old. Could this be the problem?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 01:52 PM

How long has your TV been doing that? Has it been doing that the 2 years you have had it? Or it just start? Are the recessed lights or the microwave on a separate circuit?

Nov 19, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    how long has your tv been doing that? has it been doing that the 2 years you have had it? or it just start? Are the recessed lights or the microwave on a separate circuit?
    Yes they are. We got a conditioner for the TV and have it on it's own separate line and the microwave still bothers it. Had industrial electricians in and called Panasonic plus the very reputable dealer and they keep saying it has to be something with the electrical but can't seem to find the problem. Could it be my friggin' microwave causing this problem with maybe infrared lighting?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 02:15 PM

I'd really like to know if it's on the same circuit or a different circuit. The microwave and the lights make a large current spike which may be lowering the voltage because of a poor connection "Somewhere". That somewhere could be a single outlet or at the breaker or at the main panel.

A constant voltage transformer MIGHT work, but it's not the right answer.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Is it just the microwave?

If it is, place one of these on the microwave circuit. http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products...esID=74&EID=81

There is a direct plug in model available too. You place the surge/noise suppression at the source rather than the destination.

I the lights are bothering it, then I'd look at connections such as the main lug and the circuits involved.

Nov 19, 2008, 02:40 PM

We have already have done that. Can an older satellite receiver be causing this problem, where it is much older than the TV. We have had all the pro electricians that we know ask us this. Before we commit to brand new receiver, we would like your opinion. It does not happen to our newer TV in our bedroom which is connected to the same year,brand etc. receiver.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 02:42 PM

The surge suppressor MUST have an RFI filter Not all do.

Nov 19, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I'd really like to know if it's on the same circuit or a different circuit. The microwave and the lights make a large current spike which may be lowering the voltage because of a poor connection "Somewhere". That somewhere could be a single outlet or at the breaker or at the main panel.

A constant voltage transformer MIGHT work, but it's not the right answer.
    They are on different circuits, the microwave and TV. We have had two very reputable electricians in to check this out plus the one put it on it's own plug plus a new breaker, plus a very expensive conditioner and still the problem is occurring. Hey these guys are good, they probably could tell you how Jesus walked on water, but that's not what we want to know. When we have anything else in the house running the TV will stay on forever without a problem... so it's not the TV... HELP!! Keep thinking, ask your buddies. We have had the TV checked out and it is fine and dandy!!

Nov 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
    The surge suppressor MUST have an RFI filter Not all do.
    What is an RFI filter? This conditioner came out of a very modern new tech automotive facility... couple of years old if that... they ran the PCL's, so this sucker should handle a friggin' TV.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 03:21 PM

What's the model #?

RFI is radio Frequency Interference
    The supressor should have common mode and normal mode suppression as well.

Don't put it on the TV, put it on the microwave.

Nov 19, 2008, 03:27 PM
    What's the model #?

RFI is radio Frequency Interference
    The supressor should have common mode and normal mode suppression as well.

Don't put it on the TV, put it on the microwave.
    Thanks so much for your help... we will give that a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plasma donor [ 1 Answers ]

Does donating plasma affect your body?

My Plasma [ 1 Answers ]

My Plazma TV keeps on turning its self off, it stopped all of a sudden and turned off now the green light comes on but there is no pic and sound then it will seconds later turn off. I have today hooked up a new xbox 360 to it could this be the problem?

Plasma TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have brand new condo which has a brand new 50" LG plasma wall mounted TV. Cableman came to hook up cable but I can only get 12 TV channels. I tried plugging in another TV at same jack and that TV got all 78 channels so it probably not cable connection but in TV. On input menu it was set to...

Plasma TV [ 1 Answers ]

Moved into new codo and have 50" plasma wall mounted. Just had cable installed (basic , no converter) Cable connected right but only get 12 channels out of 78. On menu screen when I do program scan it recognizes only 12 channels and they are TV channels and not CATV channels. I checked input and...

Plasma [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any long term effects of donating plasma and if so what are they?

View more questions Search