Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 22, 2008, 11:13 AM

The unions have done there jobs but they are obsolete and uncompetitive and in a lot of cases corrupt.

US automakers have to comply with OSHA, EPA regs, EEOC, whether they are Honda or Ford.

"We" can't do this, because the market, i.e. the consumer sets the prices by there purchases. To insist on wages and benefits that are nearly twice that of your domestic competitors is business suicide, and this is being proven out.

The question is why should the taxpayor bail them out.

I think if the UAW is going to concede on wages and benefits, management definitely has to also, starting with private jets.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Hello:

I don't know why you want to beat up labor. I guess it's because you don't have Bill Ayers anymore...

Plus, your addition is wrong... If you take the health care costs out, the UAW worker is making about $43/hr. That looks like what the NON unionized Japanese are paying their workers... The COUNTRY pays for their health care.

What's your point? $43 is too much?

It's also grandstanding by congress to make light of the CEO travel methods. It's hypocritical, short sighted, mean spirited, and really DUMB too. It takes away from the real problems we're facing. I think the're highly overpaid, but I don't mind that they travel in private jets.

But, what do you expect from congress?

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 23, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

I dunno why you want to beat up labor. I guess it's because you don't have Bill Ayers anymore....

Plus, your addition is wrong.... If you take the health care costs out, the UAW worker is making about $43/hr. That looks like what the NON unionized Japanese are paying their workers.... The COUNTRY pays for their health care.

It's also grandstanding by congress to make light of the CEO travel methods. It's hypocritical, short sighted, mean spirited, and really DUMB too. It takes away from the real problems we're facing. I think the're highly overpaid, but I don't mind that they travel in private jets.

But, what do you expect from congress?

excon

Not much!

The funny thing is that congress has the nerve to ask the big 3 for a viable business plan.

Is this not the same congress [ along with Prsident Bush - I'll give you that ;) ] that has spent us into trillion dollar debt? :confused:
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 04:52 AM
    possibly yes when they are going to Washington and asking the $25 /hr average worker to subsidize their income.

No one is blaming the worker solely . However ,given a choice of no job or a job with reduced compensation that still is gold standard compared to the rest of the American labor force ;they should be more flexible in their response.
    The business model of Detroit is flawed ,and the big 3 have to address all aspects of that... but labor relations weighes heavily in the equation.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

Plus, your addition is wrong.... If you take the health care costs out, the UAW worker is making about $43/hr. That looks like what the NON unionized Japanese are paying their workers.... The COUNTRY pays for their health care.

excon
    Actually with benefits the average big three auto workers make 71 and change an hour. Their non union counterparts in the South east make on average about 37 an hour. It takes the average Big three Unionized auto workers to make a car on average 10 hours longer then their non union counterparts. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. GM/Ford/Chrysler are strapped with union contracts that hare killing their productivity. Add to the facts that
    They have outdated production models again thanks in large part to the union mentality it is no wonder they are broke. They are losing on average around 2000 dollars per car because of company mismanagement and union greed for the last 40 years. Yes, I blame both parties.
    t-popas Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Nov 27, 2008, 10:18 AM

Yohu

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is He thinking? [ 20 Answers ]

Well it has been Sunday since he has text or called. He is in Maryland and I'm in Texas. We have been apart for about five months. At first he would write all the time in basic traing telling me how much he loves me and how much he wants to marry me. Well doesn't look that way anymore cause he...

What is she thinking [ 2 Answers ]

Hey here is what I got me and my g/f broke up a little over a month ago we were together for 2 years... everything was great we had went and picked out and engagement ring a week before she broke with me.. the entire break up came as a real big shock to me I had no idea it was coming... she said at...

While I am thinking of it [ 6 Answers ]

I have been wanting to move to Arizona for about three years now but it never works out. I am hoping that within the next year or so I am actually able to do it BUT I have heard that some states like Colorado have banned some dogs like Pit Bulls. Does anybody know where I can get information on...

Why am I thinking of her... [ 14 Answers ]

I recently (last few days) have been thinking a lot about a girl (woman now) I use to work with. We never dated and I have no idea if she liked me or was even interested. I highly doubt she was. I did ask her out to dinner, she accepted, but later declined for no reason. I found out weeks later...

Just thinking [ 4 Answers ]

My son is developmentally delayed. Since he got into Junior High, he has been getting into trouble. Mostly petty things. I'm considering home schooling him. I don't think he was ready for JH academically or emotionally. My questions have to do with how do I assess for myself where to start his...

View more questions Search