Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Nov 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Dryer squeak, General Electric
    I have a General Electric dryer (Model DDE5944VJLWH) with a squeak, it seems to squeak with the motion of the drum. If I open the drum door and spin the drum by hand, it still squeaks? The dryer was in the house when I bought it in 2000 so it could be any age? Any ideas or should I replace the whole thing ?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 08:39 PM

Stickysam - ITS in the axel berings of the tub , they get dry of the lubercant after they are used for awhile and all that heat, One thing you can try thsat will help for awhile is to squirt a little ( # in ! Oil on the front and back hanger berings , Good luck and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    In God We Trust Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 01:05 PM

My mother had the same problem, and then it stopped working. If the answer Flying Blue Eagle doesn't help, try replacing the belt. It takes a little work but the belt is cheap, if you buy it yourself. GOOD LUCK!
    sandy41jt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Where is this "Shaft" that I should grease? I'm having same problems with my GE dryer. (Not sure of the model number). Is there a website that will give me instructions on how to do this? Also ~ I'm not sure what this means: "(# in ! oil on the front...) I'm guessing this means to grease the front and back hanger bearings? :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle View Post
    Stickysam - ITS in the axel berings of the tub , they get dry of the lubercant after they are used for awhile and all that heat, One thing you can try thsat will help for awhile is to squirt a little ( # in ! oil on the front and back hanger berings , Good luck and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.

Dec 4, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Sandy41jt

Model number on my GE dryer, open door and plate is top right. Unplug machine from wall before next bit ! On the back of my machine is a plate about 4" x 3" held on by four screws. Take this off, you will see an "L" shape spring steel clip, the drum shaft turns on this. Put high melting point grease between the two and squeak will stop, well mine did.
    sandy41jt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Does anyone know where I would get high melting point grease ? I just checked Home Depot & Lowe's websites and neither one seems to carry it. I tried Tru Value Hardware's website, but they wouldn't bring any items up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Sam View Post
    Sandy41jt

Model number on my GE dryer, open door and plate is top right. Unplug machine from wall before next bit ! On the back of my machine is a plate about 4" x 3" held on by four screws. Take this off, you will see an "L" shape spring steel clip, the drum shaft turns on this. Put high melting point grease between the two and squeak will stop, well mine did.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Plumbers heat proof grease will also work. Over time all grease will cause a accumulation of lint which will further cause problems but grease is a quick cure.

Dec 4, 2008, 04:30 PM

Any car spares shop will have HMP grease. I used this grease as I already had some in the garage.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 09:18 PM

Sticky SAM - YOU can get the high temp greese at any auto parts store, Most stores have it also in the plumbing dept. I have gotten it at Lowe's THERE>
    NOW to get to the hard area .
    YOU ASKED HOW TO REPLACE THE DRUM BELT < READY < #1 - UNPLUG THE POWER CORD ,at the wall receptical:: #2 - LIFT THE TOP OFF THE DRYER CABINET :: #3 - REMOVE the front panel from the cabinet ,:: #4- THE DRUM on some dryers have to be blocked up to hold them in place:: #5- Now reach back under the drum to the back of the cabinet and push IDLER ARM FORWARD TO LOOSEN THE TENSION ON THE BELT AND SLIDE BELT OFF THE SHAFT AND IDLER PULLY:: #6- Slide belt off over the top of the drum:: #7- Install new belt over the drum so that the ribbed SIDE is against the drum::
    # 8- Push IDLER ARM FORWARD AND SLIDE NEW BELT OVER THR SHAFT AND IDLER ARM
    PULLLY>:: #9- Before PUTTING IT BACK TOGREATHER AGAIN LETS CHECK THE IDLER ARM PULLYAND THE SUPPORTROLLERS> IF THEY ARE WORN OR MAKE A NOISE WHEN YOU SPIN IT BY HAND ( REPLACE ) ALSO <REPLACE THE GREESE IN THE BEARINGS WITH THE HIGH TEMP GREESE NOW LETS PUT IT BACK TOGREATHER AGAIN :: DO IT IN REVERSE ON THIS LIST ::
    NOW REALLY WOULD BE THE TIME TO DO THE REPAIRS ON THE DRUM SUPPORT SLIDES AND THE DRUM :: IM going to write it down as if you had to start at the beginning :: #1- REMOVE TOP PANNEL ::#2- REmove front panel:: #3- remove the drum belt :: #4-
    ON SOME DRYERS THEY ARE CONSTRUCTED SO AT THIS POINT THE DRUM IS FREE AND CAN BE LIFTED FORWARD AND OUT::: ON OTHERS you must first remove the drum support slides ,Located at the front of the dryer cabinet.ALSO the drum may be moored by its shaft to a bearing located in the back of the cabinet ::REmove bearing access plate to free the shaft, then lift out the drum, ( NOTE) -free drum shaft from thr rear bearing by unscrewing and removeing bonding strap and prying off the " E " ring #5- put back in reverse of these I listed;;

STICKY SAM - I hope that this helps you out , if you have any troubles ,come back on this post and holler for help , one of us will come to the rescue:: Good luck and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E. Oh doing what I first told you stopped the noise for some time
    rbaro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
    I just went through this. Was it the belt or was it the rear bearing? For me it was the bearing. It was not too hard. Follow the instructions from Flying Blue Eagle and on the back of the drum, you will find the bearing axle (for lack of a better word... or knowledge). I dismantled that from the barrel only to find out that I didn't need to. Anyway, it was covered in what appeared to be expired grease and grit and dirt and whatever. I used WD40 to clean the 'axle' and to clean the receiving end of that axle. Then I went to the auto parts store to get some high temperature grease and applied them to said parts. Worked like a charm. Now, I'm currently on my first load and I'm so happy there is no squeaking. I guess I should wait after 2 or 3 or 30 loads to report all is well but at least I can tell you that it is not the belt that's the problem. If something breaks, I'll report back.
    wddixon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Where are the hanger bearings? Do I have to take the side panels off the dryer? Thanks,
    Ralph Desmond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
    Now that its been two years since your post, how did it turn out? Did it quiet everything down for a long time, or just a few loads?

Thanks, Rob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squeak in DRYER [ 3 Answers ]

There is a terrible squeaking noise that my dryer makes while it is running any ideas what could be causing this ?

Rear bearing on General Electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear bearing on dryer model DDE6500GALAD? I can put a drop of oil on it from the rear of the dryer and it stops squeaking for a few loads but then starts again. I can't find any documentation for it on the GE site. Thanks

View more questions Search