Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmysterious68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Can I convert gas heat to electric?
    I currently have a heating unit that operates off natural gas. With the cost of gas added to the electricity used to operate the unit, I feel like I am getting hit with a double payment. Last year, my gas bill ran approx. $400 a month and the electric bill jumped to about $ 350. Is it possible to have this gas unit converted to operate off electricity and cut out the gas bill all together?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
    NO you cannot convert a gas unit to electric.

What you can do is replace the gas furnace with a electric one.

Gas to electric conversions of equipment is not allowed since the unit is listed and labeled for one fuel type only and no parts are designed to work in a conversion situation.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Nov 19, 2008, 02:11 PM

Before I assume it is cheaper, what are your current electric and gas rates including all taxes? I can then repost with some calculations to verify.
    heli1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
    I have just converted natural gas heater to electric
    With an automotive 1500w circulating heater

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert from gas to electric [ 1 Answers ]

Howdo u convert a gasfrnace to an electric one:)

Costs to convert gas to electric [ 5 Answers ]

If electric heat turns out to be a better more cost effective option, how much would it cost roughly to convert Gas (water heater) system to Electric. Could you do this if easily if the tank was replaced with a tankless unit, and what type of cost am I looking at, to conver overall from gas to...

Is there a kit to convert a gas furnace to electric? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a fellow tell me that there are kits you can buy to convert a gas furnace to a electric furnace. I have searched but had no luck finding info. This is not for a particular model just kind of a general "can a gas furnace be converted to use electricity?" question. Thanks

Convert from gas heat to all electric [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, we are retiring and considering a move to a smaller community. Many of the homes there have gas heat and the cost of natural gas is outrageous to say the least. One house is about 8 years old. How do I go about changing to a heat pump? Wouuls I need to dhave all new or can I use the existing...

Convert gas heat to electric [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of converting our gas heat to electric. We just moved to TN and are astounded that the gas man comes every four weeks and fills the tank and our house is COLD all the time anyway!! We are thinking that electric heat would be more proficient and cost...

View more questions Search