Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    090461 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Emancipation for Financial Aid Purposes
    One of my students (an Indiana resident) recently became a U.S. Citizen, and his parents are Legal Residents. Because of the way federal and state student financial aid works, he is obligated to file his FAFSA report using his parents income tax information until he is 24, unless certain criteria exists; next year that can be emancipation from parents.

He has good reason for needing to be independent of them for financial aid reasons. He lives on his own, supports himself, and is currently in college. Although he is a legal adult (20 years old), can he become emancipated from his parents, so he can be solely responsible for the filing of his financial aid documentation and other related issues using his own income tax information? If so what is the process in Indiana, and does he need to hire an attorney to help him?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 090461 View Post
    One of my students (an Indiana resident) recently became a U.S. Citizen, and his parents are Legal Residents. Because of the way federal and state student financial aid works, he is obligated to file his FAFSA report using his parents income tax information until he is 24, unless certain criteria exists; next year that can be emancipation from parents.

He has good reason for needing to be independent of them for financial aid reasons. He lives on his own, supports himself, and is currently in college. Although he is a legal adult (20 years old), can he become emancipated from his parents, so he can be be solely responsible for the filing of his financial aid documentation and other related issues using his own income tax information? If so what is the process in Indiana, and does he need to hire an attorney to help him?
    Is the state that his parents are in and where the collage is are both the same ? ( Inidana )

And how would it differ if he is emancipated ( Indiana 21 y/o ) by not having to use his parents income as a reference on financial aide paperwork. If the requirement is 24 then that's not going to change because a court declares him an adult ( which he already is should he get arrested )

Nov 20, 2008, 05:57 AM
    They live in the same state - Indiana. College students have to fill out federal financial aid forms, and if they are not emancipated, married, etc. they have to include parental income. This is a fine young man who wants to build a solid life for himself, but unfortunately, items on his parents tax forms are not accurate, and he has no control over how they handle their personal business, though he has tried to let them know how serious of a matter it is. He fears that at some point his future could be in jeopardy because he is forced to use their information on his financial aid report; therefore, he would like to be solely responsible for his own actions which are honorable, but the way his status is at the current time, he is tied to them and their actions.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 06:18 PM

Id like to answer your question but quite frankly what your asking for doesn't even exist.
    According to their website the student is dependent unless he / she meets other requirements that you haven't indicated. Simply being emancipated ( Indiana ) doesn't matter according to the info Im getting.

Try looking here for some information. ( copy paste the first 2.. seems its not recognized as a hotlink )

http://www.fafsa.com/Forms/Ajax/FAFSA/fafsa-dependency.aspx?rf=;pku3at=aa001001:bd6-6b`49~5a!-6@28#4-$4d%ca^-&a

http://www.fafsa.com/Forms/Ajax/FAFSA/fafsa-questions.aspx?rf=;pku3at=aa001001:a49-d6`b9~d2!-5@6a#Q10

http://www.fafsa.com/Forms/Ajax/FAFS...ng-report.aspx

The link I have provided has no claus for emancipation. Sorry

Nov 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Thank you for your efforts with this. From what I have learned beginning in '09 - 10, the FAFSA guidelines will include Emancipation as an acceptable means of a student filing independently of parents. That is why we are trying to learn more about emancipation of a 20 year old. Thanks.
    SaltyTX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 090461 View Post
    Thank you for your efforts with this. From what I have learned beginning in '09 - 10, the FAFSA guidelines will include Emancipation as an acceptable means of a student filing independently of parents. That is why we are trying to learn more about emancipation of a 20 year old. Thanks.
    You are correct in 2009-2010 school year, the gov. will consider those emancipated by court order to be independent and they can sign the fafsa with no parental info or signature required.

Are you, or were you an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?

I'm not sure of the law in Indiana, however, the law in TX says that you are automatically emancipated at the age of 18, the code allows a court order only for those 16-17 who are financially independent and meet other guidelines.

I just did a quick search, Indiana does not allow for the emancipation of minors, but on very rare occasions. Those without parental assistance under the age of 18 are directed to the State Social Services department.
    brittanydee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
    I can relate to this boy's situation. I too am living on my own as an 18 year old, paying my own rent and expenses, and living in a complete different state from my parents. Because they don't file their taxes, they have no honorable information for which I can file the FAFSA, and thus have been completely ineligible for any kind of financial aid. I sought information on becoming emancipated before I had turned 18, so that I could use my own tax returns, but the state I had been living in did not allow emancipation, like Indiana. I feel that it is a MAJOR flaw in the system, because more and more I hear about young adults who are crippled by their parents shortcomings and awful state legislation.
    For now, I'm putting myself through community college and working full time, until I can come up with another means of receiving financial aid. I'm even contemplating marrying my boyfriend, so that I may be exempt from including my parents financial information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two Sets of Books: Tax and Financial Purposes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the purpose of using two set of books in your business? Is it necessary? If so, why?

To produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources [ 1 Answers ]

As a manager produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources to meet mediun to long trem objectives of the company

Financial statements to review/financial health of a company [ 0 Answers ]

Reviewing the company's balance sheet, which entries should be analysied To determine the financial health of a company?:confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search