Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sweet_Guy23 Posts: 304, Reputation: 27

Nov 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Am I too obsessive?
    Its been a month and a half of NO CONTACT. I finally stuck to it. But the only thing is that I'm hurting over my ex-girlfriend. It wasn't like she went around the world and back for me. I was the one going out of my way for her. But I'm still hurting. Can't stop thinking about her and the situation. Its just hard. But NO CONTACT has gotten so EASY for me!! But I'm still hurting a lot. And don't understand why. I was invited to a church event to play bass guitar, but I turned it down because she was going to be there. Why?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 11:08 AM

You just haven't gotten over it yet. Don't hurry the healing process. It takes a long time. The more you worry about it, the less likely you are to get over it. Good thing you avoided the church event as well. Keep on sticking to NC. It will get better.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Healing is a process that will get harder before it get easier. Just keep it up. You turned the invite down because your still hurting. Give it another month and a half and see how you feel then.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Glad you are sticking to NC.

My first big love lost... took me nearly two years to shake that girl out of my head... even when I was with another good girl.

It takes time. It sucks to be you. Been there. Done that. It gets better. Just nowhere near as fast as you'd like.

Personally, letting the hurt turn to a healthy dose of anger helped. Sure, I still carried baggage into the next relationship, but being pi$$ed helped me keep the faith that in time all would be good.

It was. In time. Way too much damn time.

Nov 19, 2008, 01:15 PM

Its been hard. I thought I would be over her by now but I'm not. I'm kind of upset at myself also because I fell in love with a girl who fell in love with me (later got confused and said she wasn't), told me a lot words that sounded so good but later on didn't hold any value. How could I have been so stupid. Don't get me wrong she's a good girl but she just don't know how she hurt me and confused me... you know... and she NEVER admitted that she did anything wrong at ALL. And the way I was hitting her up constantly, she probably got a real good self-esteem boost off me. Its like she didn't see me for who I was at all. I'm just kind of mad at myself, you know? How could I just let myself get so deep into her like I did.

Nov 19, 2008, 01:48 PM

Its been hard. I thought I would be over her by now but I'm not. I'm kind of upset at myself also because I fell in love with a girl who fell in love with me (later got confused and said she wasn't), told me a lot words that sounded so good but later on didn't hold any value. How could I have been so stupid. Don't get me wrong she's a good girl but she just don't know how she hurt me and confused me... you know... and she NEVER admitted that she did anything wrong at ALL. And the way I was hitting her up constantly, she probably got a real good self-esteem boost off me. Its like she didn't see me for who I was at all. I'm just kind of mad at myself, you know? How could I just let myself get so deep into her like I did.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 09:01 AM

Be patient and give yourself more time and get busier.

I think that was a good move passing on the money to avoid her.

Bet it still stirred up old feelings though.

Don't worry they will pass.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 09:13 AM

I have written about the five steps of grief and would like to share them with you also.

Grief can occur as the result of a number of different events-someone we know dies,a relationship ends,we lose a pet,we have to give up on a long held goal in our life,or any number of situations.But there is one common denominator in all of these events,and that is loss.grief is a process of physical,emotional,social,and cognitive reactions to loss.The grieving process is often a hard one to work through.It requires patience with ourselves and with others.Although responses to loss are as diverse as the people experiencing it,patterns or stages that are commonly experienced have emerged.These stages were identified and named by Dr. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.Knowing these five stages can sometimes help in coping with the process of grief and recognize that there is light at the end of the tunnel.It should be noted that although most people experience all the following stages,they do not experience them with the same duration,or in the same order,or with the same intensity.It is a unique process.

Denial

Denial is generally the first stage in the grief process.It can be experienced as numbness or avoidance or isolation or direct denial.It is a stage in which we just cannot believe that the loss is true.We may tell ourselves that it did not really happen.It does not seem real.

Anger

Another stage of grief is anger.At this point,we have gotten past some or all of the denial,but now we are angry about the loss.We may want to take it out on something or someone,or we may just express our anger in ways that are familiar to us.

Bargaining

In the bargaining stage,we are trying to come up with ways to get back what we lost or just find someone or something to blame.Common thoughts include,"If only I had just ..."or"i wish we could have ..."or "Maybe if I do this ..."In the case of a lost relationship, we might actually bargain with the person we lost in an effort to get them back."If I change my behavior,will you come back?"

Depression

The depression stage is just as it sounds,a time of sadness.It generally follows denial,anger,and bargaining when we feel helpless to stop the loss.It may include crying,withdrawal,or any other way that expresses sadness.

Acceptance

The final stage is acceptance.Most often we have gone through all of the above stages and in many cases cycled through the above stages more than once before getting to acceptance.At this stage,we have(to some extent)reorganized ourselves and our thinking to incorporate the loss.This does not mean that we no longer get sad about the loss from time to time.Over time, the intensity of the sadness generally diminishes,but may never entirely go away.

Armed with the knowledge of these five stages,we can now better understand ourselves and others who are going through the grief process.Recognizing the stages can increase your empathy and support for others and provide permission for yourself to go through the process in your own way and in your own time.

Copyright Lori Godin,Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.She can be reached in San Jose,California,at 408-260-9996

Does this help?Let me know.

Nov 20, 2008, 09:53 AM

You will get there my friend

The only reason why you are feeling hurt..

Is.. because you felt USED

And you was. Emotionaly.. you gave everything and you know she gave very little back.

You are doing great with no contact.. now its just the..
    What the hell was I thinking and doing FAZE

Its very normal :)
    We are more angry and upset with ourselves than the loss of our partner.

Keep at it man! And remember next time ;) will be different

Nov 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
    you will get there my friend

the only reason why you are feeling hurt..

is.. because you felt USED

and you was. emotionaly.. you gave everything and you know she gave very little back.

you are doing great with no contact.. now its just the..
    What the hell was i thinking and doing FAZE

its very normal :)
    we are more angry and upset with our selfs than the loss of our partner.

Keep at it man! and remember next time ;) will be different
    Man you just read me like a book!! SERIOUSLY!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 02:04 PM

It's all good man! Take your time in the healing. It has been a long time for me, and I still have my moments of sadness. Once you get over this, you are a whole new person...

Nov 21, 2008, 08:45 AM
    you will get there my friend

the only reason why you are feeling hurt..

is.. because you felt USED

and you was. emotionaly.. you gave everything and you know she gave very little back.
    Yeah, I felt very used! I felt used and led on... as good of a heart that I have especially when I'm love with someone such as her. I literally put my heart out there, and gave everything to only me end up feeling used and led on.

you are doing great with no contact.. now its just the..
    What the hell was i thinking and doing FAZE
    What was I thinking... literally?? I mean I kept rationalizing and giver the benefit of the doubt, I HONESTLY didn't know what to believe anymore concerning her. What was I thinking?

its very normal :)
    we are more angry and upset with our selfs than the loss of our partner.
    I'm more MAD and DISAPPOINTED at MYSELF than her or anything else.

YOU TELLING ME ITS NORMAL...?!? WHAT...?!?

Keep at it man! and remember next time ;) will be different
    IT WILL BE DIFFERENT...BELIEVE ME...
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 08:47 AM

And why do we fall Sweetguy? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Yup! Pick yourself back up and get back on the NC wagon! When you fall off, pick yourself back up and get back on. We all go through this and once you truly stick to NC easily, then you know your almost there.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 08:55 AM

Believe me, I have fallen off the wagon MANY times, but I keep picking myself back up and doing it again. No shame in making mistakes, only shame is not knowing you are making the mistakes...
    ANAKINBRIA1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 09:13 AM
    It's normal to feel the way you do so don't think you being obsess.

Nov 21, 2008, 10:01 AM

Yeah I been doing very great with NO CONTACT... Its been almost 2 months without breaking that.

I'm just so upset at myself right now.

But the upside about everything is that I've learned so much from situation. I mean a great deal of information about me in general and about relationships and love.

But I'm still a little upset at myself though...

Im glad its normal to feel this way when relationship goes wrong and ends. Because I honestly thought that maybe something with me. Because I've never took a relationship as hard as I took this one and I'm 23yrs old. But at the same time I've never fell for someone as hard as I did too... glad I'm not crazy...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2008, 11:51 AM
    One thing you need to understand is sometimes good people with a lot in common just don't last. Seriously.

I loved a GREAT girl once, right out of college. She rocked. Fun. Sexy. Great sense of humor. Sexy. Did I mention sexy?

But man... it was bad timing.

I'm ten years into a great relationship now... with a rock solid woman who has my back. But I will tell you honestly... that girl is now chasing boys down in Texas... and if my beloved kicked me to the curb... id might just chase her down.

My point is... one of the hardest things to get over is being able to deal with being hurt and pi$$ed AND at the same time believing that she, and you (as a couple) were real...

It can happen. You can be two great people who mean well and it doesn't work out. I've been there. More than once.

Itd be much easier to just say "she was evil and mean and played me"...

Much of the time... its not like that. Its two people who really try to mean well, and when things don't work out, its tough to get past whether it was real or not.

Unfortunately "real" and "not right" aren't exclusive.

Nov 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    one thing you need to understand is sometimes good people with a lot in common just dont last. seriously.

i loved a GREAT girl once, right out of college. she rocked. fun. sexy. great sense of humor. sexy. did i mention sexy?

but man... it was bad timing.

im ten years into a great relationship now... with a rock solid woman who has my back. but i will tell you honestly... that girl is now chasing boys down in texas... and if my beloved kicked me to the curb... id might just chase her down.

my point is... one of the hardest things to get over is being able to deal with being hurt and pi$$ed AND at the same time believing that she, and you (as a couple) were real...

it can happen. you can be two great people who mean well and it doesnt work out. ive been there. more than once.

itd be much easier to just say "she was evil and mean and played me"...

much of the time... its not like that. its two people who really try to mean well, and when things dont work out, its tough to get past whether it was real or not.

unfortunately "real" and "not right" arent exclusive.
    Can you explain that a bit more...please...???

Nov 21, 2008, 12:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    one thing you need to understand is sometimes good people with a lot in common just dont last. seriously.

i loved a GREAT girl once, right out of college. she rocked. fun. sexy. great sense of humor. sexy. did i mention sexy?

but man... it was bad timing.

im ten years into a great relationship now... with a rock solid woman who has my back. but i will tell you honestly... that girl is now chasing boys down in texas... and if my beloved kicked me to the curb... id might just chase her down.

my point is... one of the hardest things to get over is being able to deal with being hurt and pi$$ed AND at the same time believing that she, and you (as a couple) were real...

it can happen. you can be two great people who mean well and it doesnt work out. ive been there. more than once.

itd be much easier to just say "she was evil and mean and played me"...

much of the time... its not like that. its two people who really try to mean well, and when things dont work out, its tough to get past whether it was real or not.

unfortunately "real" and "not right" arent exclusive.
    Can you explain that a bit more...please...???

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Obsessive and overprotective [ 4 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship for the past two years.. and I really love the guy a lot.. but lately I have noticed that I am turning into this overprotective person... im really worried about what he is doing, I'm devastated when he gets hurt, I end up yelling at him for not taking care of himself...

Obsessive Cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I have a problem. Over the past few weeks, I have been feeling the need to clean things. The feeling usually comes when I notice that something is dirty, but I also just want to wash myself sometimes. It has been getting worse, an I am not sure what to do about it. Possibly the worst...

Am I obsessive with my fianc? [ 35 Answers ]

Right, ths is kinda hard to explain so ill cut it down a bit lol... My fiances parents live in scotland, im in england, and he has a job in scotland so he's up there most of the time. When we're together in life, he is the most adorable person you could ever meet, but while hes up there he rings...

Obsessive about cleaning [ 11 Answers ]

I have, for the past 15 or so years, been obsessive about cleaning my house. Everything has to be in perfect order. I cannot have stuff laying around, the floors, counters and rugs must be cleaned everyday. Bathrooms must be scrubbed-with bleach or cleanser. My husband thinks I am nuts and...

View more questions Search