Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    howdou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 08:25 AM
    A Piece Of Asbestos Floor Tile
    My wife and I just bought a new home, and are putting laminate flooring in our children's room. We removed the original carpet and made an attempt at removing the pad. Apparently when the original owners of the home had the carpet pad installed, some of the padding was glued and some was not. While removing a piece of the glued on padding, the underlying tile stuck to the bottom of the pad and ripped off the floor. We found out that it was ASBESTOS tile, that’s why the padding was glued, and should not have been broken. The section that broke of is about 12”x15” (a whole tile and about a 3” piece of the one next to it). My question is:

Since the tile that stuck to the pad is still in one piece (with the exception of the 3” attachment from the adjacent tile), can we just put the pad with the stuck tile back in its place, put the laminate flooring over the pad, and not worry about possible effects from the tile that ripped off the floor?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 08:48 AM

Hello. My advice to you is to remove all of it immediately. Asbestos should not be in your house. Now I will try not to confuse you but, There are 2 major types of Asbestos.

Friable & Non-Friable

Friable is any type of material containing asbestos that may crumble under hand pressure.

Non-friable is any type of material that usually doesn't crumble under pressure and is not that much concern.

Anything like flooring, roofing, tile or anything like that is category 2 asbestos and may likely become friable.

So, everything will apply for handling as normal asbestos, but it doesn't need to be bagged or wrapped.

I would suggest calling your local landfill and finding out where you can dispose of the waste and then remove all the tiles preferably with a respirator mask or something. The you can worry about retiling it later. It could cause cancer if not handled now.

Make sure that the landfill knows what kind it is so they can take precaution with it.
    I hope this helps!

Let me know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos floor tile [ 6 Answers ]

tiles are 9x9 green with vains of gray. They are brittle and cracking. Is this typical of asbestos tile?

Asbestos floor tiles? [ 9 Answers ]

We are replacing some wall to wall carpeting. The other day when the installer came out to measure the room he said that the tiling underneath was asbestos. We are putting new wall to wall carpet down over that floor (which is not brittle and is intact). 2 questions: 1. Where can we have a piece...

Hardwood floor removal-asbestos [ 1 Answers ]

We have removed our carpet and have discovered old tile-like hardwood (9" x 9" squares). We haven't decided what to replace it with, but we're thinking of trying to refinish the wood. (Is it worth trying to fix?) A lot of the pieces are broken. Problem: It is painted (white and army green)......

Asbestos floor tile [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 8x8 asbestos floor tile in my basement. I want to install new vinyl tile. What is the best way to do this? My thought is to put down a thin layer of durrock over the existing tile and then installing the new vinyl on top of that. How should I secure the durrock to the old vinyl...

Replacing tile shower with one-piece [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom in the basement which has a tile shower. The shower started leaking and rotted away the wood around it, so I removed the shower completely (all you see are the studs on the wall and the drain pipe in the ground). It used to be a 36" shower stall, but there is additional space...

View more questions Search