Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnnChacko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Dry balding patches on a sheltie
    I have a sheltie who is 13 years old and she all of a sudden has developed dry scaly patches on her sides and belly and one leg. I gave her a bath and clumps of hair came off where ever there is dry skin. I am noticing more patches now and she is biting them. Her belly is all red and scaly. Any suggestions anyone has would be welcome. She was all healthy until now

Ann
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 19, 2008, 12:45 AM

This sounds to me like it could very well be mites or ringworm. It does occur a lot in dogs who are stressed, aged, or suffering from another illness. If it is mites, depending on the type of mite, can also be transferred to humans. Both mites and ringworm can be very dangerous to your dog. I would take her to the vet ASAP to determine the cause. This is not normal, and could really be harmful to your dogs health.
    Staserbeam Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Nov 19, 2008, 01:26 PM

I agree with Starbuck. It could also be some sort of allergy, too. Definitely get her to vet asap. If it is ringworm, I would suggest picking up an anti-fungal cream for yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Balding.only 21 years old [ 3 Answers ]

I have very thin hair... I am 21 years old and am balding in the front... the top of my head itches... every time I itch hairs fall out... is there anything I can do to stop this or to grow stronger hair.

Balding 2 yr old Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 year old female doxie who is losing hair on her chest, under her neck, behind her ears, and on her hind quarters. Any ideas as to what could cause this?:confused: She also very anxious/nervous tendencies.. biting her own nails, not liking most people, shaking... Any ideas/help would be...

Sheltie pup Q, again [ 2 Answers ]

Well as it seems, I have found such a knowledgeable forum, so I'm glad that you don't mind answering such influx of questions regarding ANYTHING, that has to do with dogs, (I am so impressed with this website). Anyway, is there any way to stop our tiny sheltie puppy from getting tangled in our feet...

Male balding [ 1 Answers ]

I have lost 50% of my hair. Mostly as a high forehead and at the crown. My question is, I want a way to cut my hair so it has symmetry. It is very fine and when the wind blows I can look silly with my hair sticking up. I don't want to shave bald. Is there a way to cut it and still look like I have...

View more questions Search