Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emk8t Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2006, 08:35 PM
    American Heart or Red Cross?
    First of all, I love this site... kudos to the creators...

I am a licensed EMT, and need to get re-certified in everything this year, and I am having a hard time finding an American Heart Association CPR for the Professional Rescuer recertification class that is 1) within 100 miles of my home and 2) not already filled up.

My question is, what is the difference between Red Cross - CPR PRO and AHA CPR for the Professional Rescuer? Anything? The state I am licensed as an EMT through will take either certification... but I just want to know if there is any difference between the two, and also, if I'd have to take the entire Red Cross CPR-PRO class, or if I could just take the (much less expensive and shorter) refresher class, since I don't hold certification through the Red Cross, just American Heart.

Any help would be appreciated! I keep playing phone tag with the folks that could answer my questions... so if anyone here knows... that would be great.

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Here in Tennessee I called my local fire department, they offered the BLS for healthcare providers (American Heart Association) as well as the CPR for the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross). I will be taking my class for AHA on August 5 for that certification and on August 12 I will be taking the CPR.

I don't know if WI offers it through local fire departments, but it is worth a try. You may also call your local hospital.

Jun 25, 2006, 07:54 PM
    AY! I can barely get the names right. You are correct AHA is BLS for healthcare providers, and the Red Cross is CPR for the professional rescuer. Since posting the original question last night, I found out the main difference is AHA is good for 2 years, and the Red Cross is only good for a year, so most health care providers go with AHA.

Thanks for the input on calling the fire departments, so far I have only tried the hospitals listed on the local AHA website... and they are all full due to training the hospital staff first. I also need the refresher, not the full course, but I may just have to take the full course again, those classes have openings...

Thanks for your input:)

Kt
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Hey, I just guessed and called my local hospitals and local fire departments. Since many EMTs work through fire departments I figured they would get their training at their place of work.

I live in a very small rural community north of Memphis and would have to drive a distance also.

Good luck calling, let me know what you hear!

Oh, yeah, I learned in Nursing Orientation, that the website is not always up to date and it is best to call your local hospital. They have to have their employees up-to-date on their licenses also, so most of them provide the training.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 25, 2006, 11:16 PM
    Make sure that the class you take is for the new guidelines. 30 compressions instead of 15. It would be a bummer to get recert for the old guidelines and have to cert all over again under the new one.
    Welcome to the forum fellow Lifesaver :)
    Also. Check with your state board. In Wyoming they will ONLY accept AHA for healthcare providers.

Jun 25, 2006, 11:40 PM
    Thanks, great advice! I heard about the guidelines changing... but I forgot about that until you mentioned it. I bet that is why all the recert classes are filled too...
    2xrtd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Infant Heimlick Maneuver procedure. A how to reference.
    cpronlinehq Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 08:45 PM
    Well I also just wrote a side by side comparison of AHA vs Red Cross CPR training. Phew! You can check it out. I hope it helps. :)

http://www.cprcertificationonlinehq.com/difference-aha-red-cross-cpr-training-programs/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filter cross reference [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Nissan Terrano 2.7l diesel. It was imported from Japan. I am looking for replacement filters (oil, fuel, air) and cannot find a cross-reference list for North American parts. Does anyone know of either a forum where this might be found or someone / place that could tell me the North...

Cross-connect? [ 4 Answers ]

I own a building that was originally a single family home but was divided into 3 units (long before I purchased it). There are 2 water heaters that service the 3 units. For the past few months the tenants in the top floor unit have been complaining that they aren't getting enough hot water. I...

Cross-over skills [ 7 Answers ]

It has long been recognized that skill sets from other sports can aid and enhance one's main sport. Does anyone have experiences to share related to using skills learned from other sports to enhance their main sport?

Cross Breed Dog [ 0 Answers ]

Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the...

View more questions Search