Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llong94510 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
    What happens when you are pronounced brain dead.
    My son has a friend the other night his parents found him face down in the carpet and noticed that when his father turned him over he was blue and had asperated... he does not know how long he was out for and at that time there was no pulse... he has been in ICU since Saturday early morning. There is no brain activity period he still has not responded to anything and only his heart beats the machine is breathing for him. His parents told me today that within 28 to 72 hours they will pull the plug that is keeping him breathing. To harvest his organs. :( How do you know for sure he will never wake up and be himself again.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Once the brain dies, it cannot keep the organs functioning. Our organs depend on our brains to do the necessary work that each organ does. While our heart my pump (for a short time), our lungs, kidneys, and other organs shut down. The kidneys no longer remove toxins from the body, etc.

I am so sorry to hear this about such a young man. Did he have any health conditions? Was this drug related?
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Once the brain dies, it cannot keep the organs functioning. Our organs depend on our brains to do the necessary work that each organ does. While our heart my pump (for a short time), our lungs, kidneys, and other organs shut down. The kidneys no longer remove toxins from the body, etc.

I am so sorry to hear this about such a young man. Did he have any health conditions? Was this drug related?

Nov 18, 2008, 04:42 PM

They found drugs in his system Norco's and Vicodin

Nov 18, 2008, 04:43 PM
    And cocain too
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 04:45 PM
    That's quite a lot of narcotics going through his system, this was most likely the cause, however, since I am not his doctor and cannot review his medical info, I cannot legally determine a cause.

Back to the brain dead issue. Our brain cells do not regenerate once they die, as do some cells of other organs in our bodies. Once the brain cells are dead, they are simply dead, there is no reversing this.

Nov 18, 2008, 04:48 PM

Oh I understand I am just wondering I don't know how this process works and it is scary to me especially when it involves someone's child he is 26 and why do they want to keep his heart beating to harvest the organs can't they just remove them and let the grieving begin.
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 04:51 PM
    The heart and lungs provide blood and oxygen to the tissues that are to be harvested. Once the heart and lungs stop there is only about a 12 hour window in which the organs can be harvested and transplanted. Until they find someone to donate these organs to, they have to keep them in perfect health and this is the only way to do that.

Nov 18, 2008, 04:54 PM

Oh, that is why now that makes sense. I feel like they are prolonging the process...
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
    It does feel like they are prolonging it, however UNOS (the organ donor people) need time to look up their registry and see who needs a donor organ, this can take time, especially when multiple organs are being donated. We can donate everything from our hearts, kidneys, livers, eyes, and even skin! One donor can save as many as 50 lives. But it takes time to find everyone and get them to the hospital and get them prepared for surgery. Remember, once the organ is harvested it is only viable for transplantation for a maximum of 12 hours, and that can vary from organ to organ.

Sometimes the organ has to be flown across the country, which takes time off the viability of the organ, so the person receiving the transplant can never be more than 2 hours away from their hospital at any time.

His parents are doing a wonderful thing by donating his organs. They should be commended. Through his organs he will continue to bring health and happiness to others who would not live without his help. His parents seem like genuine helping people. I applaud them for being so brave in their efforts to help others in need.

Nov 20, 2008, 12:40 PM

They are pulling the plug today... we said our goodbyes, and its just so hard he is only 27 and only just begun his life as an adult... Thanks for all your help its nice to be able to talk to someone
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 12:45 PM

I had to do it for my father. He breathed on his own for about 10 minutes. He was kept alive for a few days so a close relative could be there.

Sorry for your loss.

Nov 20, 2008, 12:54 PM

This has been going on since last Friday night I am just glad they are allowing the healing to begin... I understand about the harvesting of organs but it really seemed like it took so long... Thanks for listening
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I had to do it for my father. He breathed on his own for about 10 minutes. He was kept alive for a few days so a close relative could be there.

Sorry for your loss.

My husband had signed not to be placed on life support. He was placed on the vent following surgery and, despite being tested and pronounced brain dead, could not be removed from life support until the panel in the hospital which reviews such things gave their approval for him to be taken off the vent.

He also continued to receive dialysis, even though he was brain dead, until the hospital panel gave the okay and I was powerless to stop the process.

This topic still twists a knife in my heart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What will you do when the dead don't stay. Dead [ 6 Answers ]

I know I know, a lot of people are asking"is this kid serious" well, I am haha... What would you do to survive a Zack outbreak... I will Post my answer later on ounce I've thought about it... PLEASE BE PRACTICAL with your answers. Don't say you would get a tank because most likely there...

What happens to your brain when you die? [ 4 Answers ]

Just wondering about what's going to happen to my brain when I die.

Sex on the brain [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently 20, my boyfriend just turned 22. Both live at home with parents. We have been together in total for a long while now, not just a year, but nearly. I gave into him quite soon with sex, to which I regret in some ways (which is why I'm writing on here) but in others I don't as I...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

Brain Cramp [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help jar my memory with this one? There was a black male artist whom I first saw on Video Soul hosted by Donnie Simpson during the 80's or 90's. I cannot remember the song title or artist's name. He had dreadlocks and sang this slow song by a swimming pool. I believe this was a one hit...

View more questions Search