Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skrewey1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Confusing custody battle.
    My fiance's ex-girlfriend has filed for child support of their two year old son. He has no problem paying it but only wants to see his son in return. She sent him down to the child support office saying that if he signed the papers that she would let him see their son. He signed every paper they put in front of him asking only one question... "Am I signing over custody." they said no so he continued signing them. Now he finds out that he did sign over custody and he still can't see his son. My fiancé loves his son and is heart broken that he can't see him there has to be something that we can do that says that they can't lie to him like that.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 02:35 PM

You need to talk to an attorney quickly and he needs to return to that agency and see about getting copies of all of the paperwork that he signed.
    skrewey1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
    We talked to an attorney and are waiting for him to review everything. It's been over four weeks since he has seen his son. He and I have a three bedroom apartment where his son has his own room and bed whereas he sleeps with his mom in a twin sized bed at her parents place. We've tried to be civil about everything and have just plain out asked her to please let us just see him and she says no, he was never a good enough father before why should he try now. My fiancé knows he's made mistakes and acknowledges them but he neve hurt her or his son. His big mistake was meeting me. We know that she lies to everyone saying that he can see his son whenever he wants but he just won't make the effort. We have text messages and emails and phone conversations proving that he has. Is it even legal for the custody office to lie like that?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 02:48 PM

You need to contact the attorney again and get a status on the situation, if you can't than you need to contact a different attorney one that will allow you to be heard. Other options include filing a Petition for Visitation on your own and have a judge order her to allow visitation. If she continues to refuse she can be held in contempt of court. Make sure you keep collecting all information pertaining to this situation as it will come in useful in proving your side of the situation down the road.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 02:50 PM

This seems kind of fishy. Most people don't just march down to the child support office and start signing paperwork.

Usually, a court date is scheduled to determine how much and if child support is going to be paid. If the parents were never married, they need to determine for sure that your fiancé was actually the father by doing a paternity test.

This may hurt to hear, but this is partially your fiance's fault. He should have read everything before signing it rather than sign it and try to claim that the child support office lied to him. I assume he has copies of everything he signed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody Battle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently in talks with my wife about getting a divorce. I live in Mississippi. She left our home with our two children. One is a step daughter and one is my son that we had together. We've been married for almost 3 years. She's been divorced 2 other times before I met her. For the last...

Custody battle [ 1 Answers ]

I am a mother of three from a previous marriage, went through the divorce- with him the primary me with custody and child support, he hasn't been providing a stable safe environment for the children, which they were temporarily placed in my care(by DFS) while the investigation has been going on,...

Custody Battle [ 19 Answers ]

I live in NY and My children one 6 and the other 4 are no longer with me the mother left and hid them from me. Now I am in court and all I want is Joint Shared Custody. Is this at all possible? And now the kids are no longer in the house that they came from. She is in a shelter with my children....

Custody Battle! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I'm Kelli. I'm 22. I have two daughters, Sarah (3) and Emily (1). :) They are my life. In March, I eloped to a gentlemen I thought I loved. We only dated for a short time but I thought this person would make my family "whole" (I am from a broken home and foolishly thought this would bury...

Custody Battle [ 2 Answers ]

My godson is seeking joint custody of his daughter. He pays child support and wants the courts to tell the mother she can not take the daughter out of town to live no matter what. What are his changes of getting the request order in court?

View more questions Search