Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Briggs 14.5 ohv won't run
    I have a yard machine mower that has been running fine. Last week it shut off twice in the middle of cutting but started right back up. This week when I went to cut it started as normal ran for about twenty seconds and died won't start again. If I pour gas in the carb it will fire up, so I know I have fire, I checked the fuel filter it's a little dirty but I can pour gas through it easily .

Please help, Grass is getting out of control :)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 11:28 PM
    Does it have a little solenoid on the bottom of the carb? Does it click? If that's good... make sure gas is getting to the carb (take the fuel line off at the carb and let it go and watch for good flow)
    KENTUCKY NICK Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jun 29, 2006, 05:01 AM
    It could be your float sticking. Try tapping on the carb bowel and see if this helps. Some of the older floats get a hole in them and will not float and shuts off the gas.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTUCKY NICK
    It could be your float sticking. try tapping on the carb bowel and see if this helps. Some of the older floats get a hole in them and will not float and shuts off the gas.
    You have it the other way around, if the float gets a hole in it, it fills with gas and lets the gas flow uncontrollably... (usually into the oil and out the muffler or up and out the top of the carb)
    KENTUCKY NICK Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jun 30, 2006, 03:41 AM
    I STAND CORRECTED! The Briggs Dude is correct. When the float sinks it don't shut off and the gas will get into the oil. Thanks for CORRECTING my mistake. KENTUCKY NICK:(
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTUCKY NICK
    I STAND CORRECTED!! The Briggs Dude is correct. When the float sinks it don't shut off and the gas will get into the oil. Thanks for CORRECTING my mistake. KENTUCKY NICK:(
    The big thing here to do when this happens... DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE!! not only can it explode... but it breaks the oil film down, so your moving parts are riding on mostly gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

16.5 briggs won't run [ 4 Answers ]

16.5 Briggs ohv won't run has gas but won't run if I spray starter fluid it will run briefly this engine has a fuel solenoid under the fuel bowl. Rich

Briggs 18 twin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MG Ward 18/42 Briggs twin, Having oil seeping from what appears to be the left cylinder base. Is the Jug removable or cast into the main block. Cylinder head looks easy enough to remove but the problem appears low end. Thanks rirog

Briggs 18hp won't fire [ 7 Answers ]

Have an 18hp Briggs Twin that quit and would not start. After detecting a weak spark, replaced plugs and coil. Ran great for two weeks, now week spark again on new coil. Only get strong spark when one coil wire is grounded. Then the other gives strong spark. Could the starter be turning too...

View more questions Search