Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    venkatkrishu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Design of trusses & frames
    How to calculate load distribution in a framed truss member?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 08:27 AM

Depends on the truss design. For some simple trusses with pinned ends and point loads it is possible to determine the force in each member by balancing forces at each connecting node using free-body disagrams. You posted this question under mechanical engineering - if you are taking an introductory course in statics I suspect that's all you need. Start at the point where the load is applied and work from there. But for more complicated structures, or for loads that are not simple point loads, the truss geometry may be indeterminate, in which cases you have to equate stresses as well as strains for each node. It can get really complicated if the joints are not simple pins - using welded joints (as in real-world construction) further complicates the analysis.
    Medeek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2013, 05:59 PM
    Using the equations of statics (Sum of the Moments = 0, Sum of the Forces = 0) you can solve for all the internal forces in a truss provided it is a simple pin jointed truss and it is a determinate geometry.

For some of the more common trusses used in residential structures try this calculator:

Medeek Design Inc. - Truss Designer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

Frames [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my eyes checked but I can not afford the frames. I am looking to find a place that has free frames.

Construction of roof trusses [ 1 Answers ]

The trusses are 12 5 pitch I want to cut into them a foot It's a metal pole barn, its 12 foot high I want to make it 13 foot high Is this feasible? Thank you John

View more questions Search