Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    03rivers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Mortgage payments after death of spouse
    A second marriage spouse had died, that spouse is on the deed and the mortgage. The surviving spouse receives the house and the mortgage, correct?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 09:46 PM

How are they named on the deed, both listed with right of survialshiip?

But it can happen like that,
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Nov 17, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 03rivers View Post
    a second marriage spouse had died, that spouse is on the deed and the mortgage. The surviving spouse receives the house and the mortgage, correct?
    Ok so if I got you right one of the spouses of a second marriage is dead (1st spouse is gone and not on deed/title-has no interest in the estate). Both the married spouses are on deed/title and also as per the mortgage requirements, both married spouses are on mortgage.

On deed/title does it state that they are Tenants in Common or Joint Tenants? If they are Tenants in Common basically that means that the portion of one of the spouses estate (be it 50%) will go to Estate Planning or if there is a Will it will be dictated per the Will. If they are Joint Tenants then there is what is called the right of survivorship which ultimately means that the house becomes or transfers ownership to the surviving tenant/spouse in whole.

For mortgage well if the owners didn't buy additional coverage it may be possible that the estate or survivor will be responsible but in our law it is mandatory to have this coverage in place this way the mortgage is paid out in full not leaving the survivor will additional financial strain or suffering.

Unfortunately it will depend on the deed/title ownership and mortgage clauses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Behind on mortgage payments [ 2 Answers ]

I contacted a M M Intl. for assistance to help me with my mortgage payments. They are supposed to contact the lost mitigation dept and maybe lower my payments or push the payments back. The counselor has drug her foot and not faxed the stuff to the credit union. I am 5 months behind of my payments...

Death of a Spouse [ 4 Answers ]

My father recently passed and left my mother with debt of mutliple credit cards that she never knew about. The only thing she has is a trailer and car both of which are worth less then they owe. Should she decalre bankruptcy or just let everything go and the trailer and car repo'd? The only estate...

Chapter 13 & Death of a spouse [ 3 Answers ]

My husband just died a few weeks ago (5/29/07 due to a short (2 months) of cancer. He was dagnosed in 4/07. We filed Chapter 13 last year (07-06) and his weekly checks were garnished to pay on the settletment. I don't have a pay check coming in due to using all my accurals and I am not in the right...

Proposal payments-in case of death-would my children be responsible to creditors [ 1 Answers ]

If a proposal was accepted and regular payments were made to creditors, but a balance was remaining on the death of the debtor. Can the family members (adult children) be made responsible for that parents debt? Is the debt automatically discharged? mtee

View more questions Search