Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greydog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2004, 09:36 AM
    Renaming a family restaurant
    I have a restaurant client who has had their family restaurant name for 31 years. It was changed slightly from decade to decade; however, their last name has always been in it. They are unfortunately known as the "place where old people eat". Even though their following is largely older adults from 50 up, they want to begin attracting more 30+ ages for lunch and dinners. Plus, they want more families in for large meal tickets. I came up with a few names and some have received positive reaction from family and friends. The name has to reflect a modern bistro/cafe style to satisfy the tastes and likes of all ages. It needs to be ageless and nongender specific. I want to find a name that is simplistic but yet different and catchy. The food is Americana style with a homemade touch. The physical atmosphere is changing to mesh with the new brand image... which as you can see I haven't presented yet to the client. Any ideas? :-/
    Wmatthies Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2005, 04:31 PM
    Image Foundation Versus Tactics to Communicate the Image
    What they wish to accomplish is the “holy grail” for many companies and not without a lot of risk. In many respects it is not all that different from what other companies with different products have faced (aging consumer group) including Cadillac, McIntosh Audio, the state of Florida, Sears, etc. Or companies whose image problem is not an older consumer but rather some other “negative” (I put that in quotes because having older consumers is not necessarily a problem). For example, Circuit City, which went from being perceived as a leader in technology retailing to a weak follower.

I suggest you carefully consider the foundation of what their image should be beginning by not assuming the new image will necessarily be negative to any age group (you may have said that when you said it must be ageless). Put aside tactics such as names, décor, etc and along with their management, list what you consider to the be foundation of the business. In other words, who will want to eat there and why? With that complete you can begin to develop the tactics for communicating those attributes.

Finally, you should definitely consider formal testing of your hypotheses because so much is at stake. In many cases, what you and their management feel is obvious and the way “everyone” will feel, may not be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Bad family member [ 11 Answers ]

Hi gang, You all know I'm an old retired dude with a quacky sense of humor sometimes. I have loved being here with all of you and helping people who ask for it.. I've come to see us all as family and I also know we sometimes disagree, and that's fine because we are all different with different...

Help with family [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, I need help on a situation that, I guess can be described as somewhat abusive. My 20-year-old sister "Kim" has turned into a burden that I don't think I can handle, nor do I want to. I feel like my family is being torn apart an I am being torn up inside. "Kim" is the middle child in...

Restaurant Name [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to open a take-out/delivery type of steakhouse and I've come up with the name Bully's. And have a bull as the logo that looks like a bully. But someone told me that that sends the wrong message,can anyone please help. I would really appreciate as many replies to this as possible as like a...

View more questions Search