Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Nov 17, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Can lawyer represent himself and a client against same opponent for same issue?
    Or would it be a conflict of interest? The lawyer could negotiate a better deal for himself in exchange for a lousier deal for the client, couldn't he? Is this conflict of interest or another terminology?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 03:46 PM

While it is not illegal, the attorney will have to notify his client that he is doing this, If the cases can be combined that would be possible.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabee4 View Post
    Or would it be a conflict of interest? The lawyer could negotiate a better deal for himself in exchange for a lousier deal for the client, couldn't he? Is this conflict of interest or another terminology?

Need a little more info. Is this one lawsuit with 2 plaintiffs or 2 lawsuits?

I think the Attorney would be foolish to represent himself as a Plaintiff and a client as a Plaintiff because of the potential argument for conflict of interest but I don't know of anything that precludes an Attorney from doing so. I don't see any question concerning ethics and involving a settlement IF the Attorney is reputable. An obviously unfair or unequal settlement would certainly be grounds to investigate the Attorney and I don't think anyone reputable would do so.

But, again, I don't know why an Attorney would represent himself as a Plaintiff as well as a client who is the second Plaintiff unless it's one law firm and two Attorneys, which does happen.
    mr206 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 01:22 PM

Lol... like we learned the first week in law school: "Only a fool is his own attorney".

It's called Pro Se and it's perfectly legal for any person to represent themselves, even if it's a bit of an advantage for that person to already be a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If you had to choose one of the following, what would represent you? [ 20 Answers ]

Lets open this up a bit more, shall we? If you had to choose ONE of the following, what would represent you? Either a... 1. Book - what book? 2. Movie - what movie? What character? 3. Author - which author? What work? 4. Poem - what poem? 5. Quote - what quote?

Can a CPA represent a client in a court ? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a CPA represent a client in court, e.g. tax court?. Does a CPA have any confidentiality, i.e. right of privileged communication, with a client as a lawyer has?. I heard Congress was considering giving this privilege some years back in a tax reform bill?

Color to represent Prevention [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am creating a poster with theme Prevention. What color depicts Prevention as red is for stop/danger, green is for go green, blue for water... what color depicts prevention. Please let me know. Thanks

An accident Lawyer reporting his medicare client. [ 1 Answers ]

Does an accident lawyer need to report any client who is on medicare? Where is this statute and where do I find it? Thank you.

View more questions Search