Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheesynuggets17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Why should I use Linux
    Ok, well I use windows vista and xp and I've tried mac and I honestly don't like either, I think they suck equally like at first a mac is better but I've changed things on my Vista computer to make ti pretty much equal to a Mac Os. So I decided to look up Linux on YouTube and I realized that you can only find videos showing things showing off visual effects you can get from beryl and other crap like that which is cool but I'd want to know more then the fact that it cam make the windows do pretty things. So for all of you Linux people out there what are reasons that put Linux above the other OS's and which version of linux would you recommend.
    olivesandtrees Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
    1. It's totally 100% FREE! No software cost, no licensing cost, no update costs...
    2. It can run almost any computer architecture
    3. Most Linux distributions are supported by communities of thousands of IT and programming experts and very knowledgeable end-users (oh yeah, community support is also 100% free!)

Here are my top choices of Linux distributions:

Ubuntu: a free, Debian derived Linux-based operating system, available with both community and professional support. With the release of 8.04 (Hardy Heron), Ubuntu may very well be the most user-friendly and flexible Linux distribution available today. Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing.

Fedora: a Linux-based operating system that provides users with access to the latest free and Open Source software, in a stable, secure and easy to manage form. Fedora is backed by the industry leader in Linux products, Red Hat, and based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Fedora Project

Note: Red Hat also backs the JBoss Enterprise Application Platform. JBoss is the Open Source, J2EE application server that Practice Director is based on.

Fedora is all about freedom and rapid innovation.

OpenSUSE: a community project, sponsored by Novell and AMD, to develop and maintain a general purpose Linux distribution based on Slackware. With backing from some of the biggest companies in the IT industry, openSUSE has become a user-friendly and widely used distro. openSUSE.org

The openSUSE project is a worldwide community program sponsored by Novell that promotes the use of Linux everywhere.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu (I had Xubuntu on my previous laptop). My Linux OS is fast, never crashes, secure and I like the user community that goes with it. I have my kids use Ubuntu for their online games and learning software as well as using OpenOffice. I keep the Vista OS for gaming (I haven't played with Wine yet) and, sadly, Outlook Web Access <sigh>.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2008, 01:06 PM

First Linux is not 100% free. It depends on what you get. You can get Linux for free or you might pay for an installer. There is a good selection of Open Source software, but there are also fee based ones as well.

Think of Linux as the hot rod you might have bought when younger. You buy it because you want to tinker and Linux gives you that ability.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 02:48 PM

I got an EEE PC and it came with some version of Linux which was horible and so I put Ubunto on it.

It loads very fast and I was able to get it and install it free with no problems.

Only downsides are the interface has icons everywhere, there is no blank "desktop" you can go to which I find distracting... also I had problems finding drivers for my built in webcam and speakers.

Other than these 2 things I like the OS, you can easily find what your looking for and if you want to get more advanced you can modify the software easily (if you know what your doing)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linux [ 3 Answers ]

I am using VI editor at work to try to compile my programs for school in C. When I compile I get the file a.out. When I do this on the school's site I am able to just type a.out in the command line and it runs. They are using AIX (whatever that means). I cannot do that here. It keeps saying no such...

Linux [ 5 Answers ]

I have a saa7134 TV cards .my linux (kernal 2.6)not configure for this TV cards.pls help me

Linux to Mac [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get this Linux PC talking to my old Mac? I have Mandrake 9.2 and KDE desktop. The Mac is has a Power PC chip and is running Mac 7.6.1. I have a Belkin router 4 port router hard wired to both of them by ether net. The router feeds my cable modem to both. Since a driver for my HP...

View more questions Search