Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omega_red_08 Posts: 110, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
    What's fair?
    I have a new girlfriend because my ex was basically mooching off me. I have a hard time saying no to people I care about. Just so I don't make the same mistake twice; what expenses should I be responsible for in a relationship? I do make more money than her but I also have twice the bills.

I have no problem paying for her on dates but where should I draw the line? For example, she has like 10 bucks left in her account until she gets paid at the end of the month and she says she needs a haircut, hair dye and fingernail polish. I have the money but do I have to buy the stuff? I figured I could ask her to pay me back but I know she won't have enough to pay me back. I think if I start doing things like this it will end up like my last relationship.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 01:42 PM

Are you guys married? I wasn't aware, that until you are, finances become involved. No way should you pay for a $100 salon visit man. That ain't fair at all.

Nov 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
    No not married just been dating for about 2 months.

The thing is I'm not sure what I should or shouldn't buy. I'm scared to go to any type of store with her because she always wants something. I feel bad that she can't afford these things but why should I have to buy them for her?
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 01:59 PM

You shouldn't, and have no obligation to. That is the beauty of life, if people want to buy something, they can save up the money themselves and buy them. Besides random gifts and such, the only thing I usually bought for my ex was dinner and or the 'date' night stuff.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 02:03 PM

After dating for only 2 months paying for dates is fine. Paying for nails and hair not fine. You do this now and you will be back in the same position you just got out of.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 02:18 PM

Nope, you don't have to pay for any of that stuff. Not until you are living together and are engaged/married do you make the decision if you should merge incomes and all that stuff

Nov 17, 2008, 02:33 PM

Well we live together but have not made any plans to get married.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 02:36 PM

Living together still does not constitute financial obligations towards the other, except for bills. You are still individuals trying to feel each other out, in no way should one be financially dependent on the other right now.
    wikedjuggalo Posts: 406, Reputation: 43

Nov 17, 2008, 02:38 PM

I'd go with no and I'm the same damn way when it comes to not being able to say no. What worries isn't your urge to buy the things but the rate at which she asks for things. Keep an eye on that.

Nov 17, 2008, 02:49 PM

Well so far she asks for something at a steady pace. Just this weekend I wanted to go see a movie with her and she made the remark she would rather get an outfit. That made me upset.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by omega_red_08 View Post
    Just this weekend I wanted to go see a movie with her and she made the remark she would rather get an outfit. That made me upset.
    DUDE. Need I say more!!
    wikedjuggalo Posts: 406, Reputation: 43

Nov 17, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Well so far she asks for something at a steady pace. Just this weekend I wanted to go see a movie with her and she made the remark she would rather get an outfit. That made me upset.
    Yeah man got two choices in my eyes. Establish a line or let it go. Seems she is after a suger daddy in my eyes but only you know if she is or isn't.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Totally unacceptable. Please tell me you didn't buy her an outfit. Tell me you explained to her that you wanted to go the movies so that you could both enjoy it and for her to suggest you need to buy her clothes instead is selfish. I'm not trying to be an a$$ but I would never ask my husband to pay for me to get my hair colored or to get my nails done. Not only is this not your responsibility to pay for it but this isn't even a need, it's a want. It drives me crazy when girls take advantage of guys like that.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 04:02 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dating...ll-266690.html

Don't fall into the same kind of trap.
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Nov 17, 2008, 04:05 PM

From my point if view, if she can't afford a necessity, then yeah, you can help her out, but if its stuff she doesn't need, stuff that's just for fun or because she feels like having it, then nah, I'd say she has to wait... That's what I do in my relationship... makes sense to me...
    myheart0345 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2008, 07:47 PM

You really need to draw the line. If she doesn't like it than she can go find a sugar daddy because that's what it sounds like she needs. If she only has 10 bucks in her account she can wait to get her hair and nails done its not like its an emergency or anything. If it was than I would help her out.
    cowboy107 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2008, 07:58 PM

Wow, go listen to some Kanye West, you know what song I'm talking about. Just 2 months in, and a remark like that!
    She's using you, make a stand and then you'll see her true side.
    I don't know bro, but this spells bad news from my side of the fence...
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 08:01 PM

Its nice to be nice but you are not IN ANY WAY obliged to pay for anything EVER. Period.
    holeinheart21 Posts: 55, Reputation: 11

Nov 17, 2008, 09:35 PM

Speaking from personal experience, if you start doing that for her, then she will expect it rather than appreciate it. I am able to look back now and realize that, and that is something I will take with me from this point forward.

If she would rather have something materialistic instead of spending time with you, then she needs to get her priorities straight.

It is good for you to do things here and there for her, on your own will, to surprise her, but there is no excuse for her picking an outfit over you.

Nov 18, 2008, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the responses.

My yearly salary is about average for the state I'm from. I guess because I never splurge and only by stuff I need, she thinks I'm hording my money somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it fair? [ 25 Answers ]

Do you think its fair that my boyfriend can tell me what I can and can't do but when I try to tell him something he gets ty and he don't listen to me. For instance I am not allowed to go to a party without him because he thinks I will flirt and act stupid but if he is invited to a party he can go...

Is this fair? [ 1 Answers ]

My couisn and I shoplifted and we got cought. We show the people who cought us what we both stolen and a week later we both got a letter in the mail saying we had to pay and so we did but why did I have to pay more when I didn't take as much stuff as my couisn did? She's 16 and stole 3 expense...

Is it fair? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now and we love each other very much but I have this one little problem that keeps me wondering about him. You see, I love kids and plan to have atleat 2 of them, preferably with him and I have told him this. The thing is, he has a child, which is...

Was this fair? [ 11 Answers ]

An unemployed friend of mind agreed to me hiring him to do some housecleaning for me as I am recovering fron an injury. I have a one bedrm condo 1073 sq feet. He vacuumed 3 carpeted areas (LR/DR?BedRM)& washed the hardwood floor around the areas the carpet did not cove. He vacummed the carpet...

Fair Tax [ 11 Answers ]

What do the experts in this room view about changing our Income Tax to the Fair Tax.

View more questions Search