Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gametime Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Critter in insulation
    Hi there
    I've been having a terrible smell come up from behind my washing machine. My first thought was something was wrong with the plumbing and through investigation I've realized that something has been living above the insulation directly below the washer.(we live in a mini-home) The insulation has been pulled out and smelled awful and had droppings all over it. Im not sure what animal it is... perhaps a squirrel or a rat... anyway my question is if there is anything I can put up above the new insulation to deter any animals from returning?? Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 23, 2006, 03:04 PM
    My favorite is Moth Balls. I use moth balls for almost any varmint I do not want to return.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 23, 2006, 05:46 PM
    Try to find out HOW they got there and eliminate that entry. Or,.
    They'll be back". :)
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Aug 10, 2006, 09:20 AM
    You may have mice. If you have a squirrel or rat you would hear them in the walls. They are not small animals.
    Like Shunned said, find out where they are coming in. Look around the piping at the floor or the dryer vent where it exits the house. Mice need only an opening the size of a dime to enter.

If you can replace the insulation, do it. It will not prevent any more animals but it will help with the smell/health hazard and R value of your wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Insulation questions [ 1 Answers ]

We are having a steel home built, with a white roof. Anyone out there have experience to share about insulation? The building will come with 3 inches of insulation. Is radiant barrier more effective under the roof, or over the living space? What about dust collecting on the barrier if it...

Insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Massachusetts,so it very cold here.when I take the old window out and the weight of the window what type of insulation should I put in the gap inside. Thanks

Home insulation [ 2 Answers ]

My new home (2 weeks old) is very chilly in certain areas and I discovered that the contractor did not totally complete the insulation in the attic; (used R-13 in the rest of it) and that he used R-11 in the garage ceiling (area below cold zones), with none on the walls. I thought R-30+ was needed...

Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the pros and cons are to putting insulation on the ceiling of a basement. The reason for my asking is someone has told me that it isn't wise because cold air doesn't rise anyways(I already knew that) and you would cut any heat off coming from the boiler and water heater that...

What kind of insulation? [ 9 Answers ]

Have insulation in walls and attic that is contained in a package that easily punctures and when opened reveals a brown kind of sawdust? Anyone know what this is? I think it is useless for the walls as it settles making it useful for only the lower 1-3 feet of walls. House was built in the 60's.

View more questions Search