Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nim1119 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Home security camera to be viewed on all TVs in the home?
    Hi everyone,

I just got a wireless security camera and set it up.

I want to be able to tune to a specific channel (ch. 88 for example) on all the TVs in my home to be able to view the camera.

I bought a video modulator and set the channel to 88 (it gives me two modes to choose from: UDF or CABLE, not sure which to use).

It does work, however, the feed is full of static/snow.
    I am guessing I need to get an amplifier to boost the signal, that's fine I can do that.

However, assuming the amp will boost the signal and I will get a clear picture, I have encountered another problem.

I cannot view this channel (88) on the TVs in my home that use digital or HD cable boxes. Only those that are still connected via analog (direct coax.) can tune to ch. 88 to view the noisy camera feed (no amp yet).

1. Will an amp help me with the static?
    2. How can I set this up to view on all TVs, including those using a digital cable box?

I have included a diagram of my setup. Let me know if I have left out any needed info, and thanks for anyone's help.

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 04:05 PM

Looks like you may need a trap that includes Channel 88 before your combiner(splitter).
    You will need a splitter at each TV, 1 into cable box, and other to Coax In on TV.
    Channel 88 Cable or UHF.
    Out of Cable Box into a Video Input.
    Do you Have PIP?

Nov 17, 2008, 05:02 PM

Ok, I understand the splitting to go to cable box and then into coax so I can swap between video unputs and tuner.

I will do some research to learn what a trap is.

Also, what is UHF? How would I use this mode?

Most of the TVs have PIP support.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 05:53 PM

I may come back to this. I think we think there is a typo: UDF=UHF.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:09 PM
    You normally have to strip out the channel your inserting from the stream and in your case, you have to strip it out twice because you don't want to modulate the cable's TV system unless there is an AMP first on the CATV system.

Splitters in reverse act as combiners.

You need a low pass and a high pass filter to allow the insertion of the channel so it's clear.

The whole process has to re-thought somewhat based on:
    1. Analog Passthru
    2. Digital transition and re-allocation.

There is no resonably priced HD modulator available on the market and there may not be.

Distributing baseband video and using PIP could be a better option.

A cable modem would have to be positioned before the distribution.

Nov 17, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I may come back to this. I think we think there is a typo: UDF=UHF.
    You're right. My mistake.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 05:26 AM

Channel 2-13 are VHF, 14 and above will be UHF or Cable, Modulator and TV needs to Match.
    The Trap is a Filter that will knock a Channel or Group of channels.
    An amp doesn't fix Static, but will allow more TV's to see static. A filter is what you need.

Nov 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Channel 2-13 are VHF, 14 and above will be UHF or Cable, Modulator and TV needs to Match.
    The Trap is a Filter that will knock a Channel or Group of channels.
    An amp doesn't fix Static, but will allow more TV's to see static. A filter is what you need.
    The modulator gives me two options to set it to: UHF and CABLE. The lowest channel selectable is 14 (as you have stated). I think I have it set to 88 CABLE.

I will look for a filter. What do I ask for? Cable filter?
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 11:07 AM

I had my filters made at www.tinlee.com (Canadian). They are not common.

You really want a "notch filter", which can be made from a low pass and high pass filter.

Commercial installs start with a blank signal and add channel specific antennas in the right directions bringing each up to the correct signal strenth. They combine and then distribute. The distribution is done my amplifying and distributing via "Taps" and not splitters
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 05:51 AM

I like Channel Plus, Now called Linear:
    Scroll to bottom of the page:
    RF Distribution, Amplifiers, Modulators, Combiners, Splitters, Video Distribution
    Some Cable systems use a certain portion for Data or Signal, I have good luck in the 90's(90, 92, 94, 96) for 4 cameras, leave a channel empty between.
    I vaguely remember a Cable guy saying leave the 80's alone?
    If you could talk to a Local/Knowlegable Cable guy, he should know what area will not affect their system.
    Chris Webb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 02:17 PM
    The problem with the crappy picture is either due to noise or the wireless signal is just not strong enough to transmit the images. Not too much you can do.

If you want to modulate with digital cable you can do it. Logenex makes an all in one modulator that works with digital cable. You need the SCFM series modulator. It is not cheap though, probably around $400 to $500 but it works.

Website is Logenex Innovations Inc. Home Alarm and Security Systems - TeleDoorBell Products, TeleDoorBell X Series, TeleDoorBell Advanced Series, TeleDoorBell MDU Series

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home security [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everone, I have installed a cctv camera, for home security. I can view it's output on my TV. Now I need a device where I can record the output of the camera for say 48 hrs and view it later or erase it. What kind of device do I need. What are the cheapest options. ...

Neighbor has camera that is taping my yard/home! [ 34 Answers ]

A neighbor who lives 2 houses from me has a camera that is covering his yard, his daughters yard, and then my yard, and the neighbors yard that is next to mine. And it seems like he's purposely taping everyone else's house, not just his. The camera is barely on his property. Its staring right at my...

Home Security Camera [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking to install an outdoor security/surveillance camera to monitor my driveway and cars. I see a lot of cameras on the market that provide day and night surveillance but I have no way of assessing what would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on cameras? ...

Home Security for the 21st Century [ 9 Answers ]

I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable? Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system? If you ignore...

Home security [ 6 Answers ]

My home living complex has recently had a 5 foot brick wall put around it. It has become clear to me that this wall is very easy to climb over. I saw somewhere some small tiangle like pins that you can put along the entire top of the wall that would not allow anyone to get a full grip in order to...

View more questions Search