Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarolW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Early move out
    I Have been living in an apartment complex since August of 2004 and had recently signed a new lease for 12 months. Unfortuanaate for me some tenents have moved in and are smokers and due to my history of a quadruple bypass surgery I don't want to be around the second hand smoke.. Since my medical history puts me at a higher risks for complications from secondhand smoke I feel that there is a breech of the common law of peaceful enjoyment due to second hand smoke and the issue of smoking has violated my right to live in a smoke free environment.

I have spoken to the corporate office that owns the apartment complex and was told that I could give a 60 day notice which I have, but they say I must continue to pay the amount of the lease until some one moves in or the lease expires. No other alternative was offered to me.
    What are my rights to end this lease agreement?

Sincerely,

Carolyn Ware
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 12:00 PM

Well, unfortunately, unless your lease has some provision that restricts smoking on the property, in the common areas, etc, what they're telling you is probably correct.

It will boil down to what your lease says and what your state landlord / tenant law states. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Move School Move Country [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, In early 2007 I decided I wanted to study over seas. My dad thought it was a good idea so we went to the meetings and I got prepared. In the last 6 months preparing my dad told me I can't go. Its not the money and he said it was because I was been rude or something. Now I want to move over...

Is it too early to move in together? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 21 year old college student finishing my final year in college. I started my first relationship with a 25 year old male who is planning on going to medical school next year. This is also his first relationship. We have had a great relationship so far even though we have been forced to do...

Animated move from late 70's or early 80's [ 2 Answers ]

I've been searching the internet for years trying to find this movie that I watched one time when I was very young. I watched it in the mid 80's, but it could be as old as the 70's. I don't remember much except the end. I do know that it involved two kinds of fairies (I think), a boy and a...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search