Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T43NR2W Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Lost USAF C-97 Stratocruiser in Pacific 21 March 1957
    In February 1957 I was employed by the Department of the Army as a civilian in Japan. On 22 February 1957 my wife, daughter, and I were returning to Japan from re-employment leave in Florida. We crossed the Pacific on a USAF C-97 Stratocruiser, tail number 92591. We departed from Travis AFB at 22/1427 bound for Hickam AFB and returned to Travis AFB at 22/1559 due to engine trouble. We again left Travis AFB at 22/2245 for Hickam AFB to Haneda AB via Wake and had no further aircraft problems. Almost exactly a month later on 21 March 1957 a USAF C-97 Stratocruiser departed Wake bound for Japan (probably Haneda AB but the destination could have been Tachikawa AB). The aircraft never arrived in Japan and was lost somewhere between Wake and the east coast of Japan. All I can find on the internet was that it was lost on 21 March 1957 with 67 people aboard. Sometime in the 1970s while transiting Travis AFB I noted a plaque in the terminal honoring the crew/passengers of that lost aircraft. I tried to get in touch with the base historian but could not contact him in the short time that I had. Over the years I have wondered whether that lost aircraft was the same one that my family and I flew on a month earlier and whether that engine problem we had might have happened again with disastrous results.

I would like to obtain more information on that lost aircraft.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Nov 17, 2008, 05:52 PM

Is it the one listed here? Aviation Safety Network > ASN Aviation Safety Database > 1957

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Jan-March 07 and became an H1-B since March 07 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm single, and I have more than the 180 something days that the presence test requires. I think I can fill form 1040EZ because H1B holders pay taxes like a normal resident. So my question is, can I use form 1040EZ for my taxes, or which form do I need? What if I was working from Jan to...

Replacing Federal Pacific breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Federal Pacific breaker panel that needs to be replaced. I am trying to get at least four quotes before I have any work done. How much do you think it would cost to replace the Federal Pacific breaker panel with a 42 cct main lug panel. Thank you.

Bangkok in March [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I heard about the military coup that happened last year in Thailand. Since then, I have not kept myself updated with the political situation in the country. Now I am planning to travel to Bangkok on March 2008. I know that weather-wise, the temperature is warmer than Feb. but not as...

Pacific breaker panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I didn't know what category my question would fall under so I thought I should just pick one. My husband and I getting ready to sell our house and we had our house inspected. After the inspection the inspector stated we had to change our electrical breaker box panel, which could run...

View more questions Search