Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharon40az Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Bathroom sink shut off
    I have a leak in my cold water faucet, and I need to shut off the water until I can fix it. The valve under the sink will not turn with strong hand pressure. How hard can I attempt to turn it before I risk breaking something? (can you tell plumbing is not my area of knowledge? )
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon40az View Post
    I have a leak in my cold water faucet, and I need to shut off the water until I can fix it. The valve under the sink will not turn with strong hand pressure. How hard can I attempt to turn it before I risk breaking something? (can you tell plumbing is not my area of knowledge??)
    This valve is called a "angle stop" (see image). When I'm faced with this problem I take a pair of pliers and grip the handle, ( you don't have to grip real tight, you're just using them for leverage)and turn it clockwise to shut it off. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the...

Removing shut off valves under bathroom sink. [ 3 Answers ]

I had a problem after I insstalled a new sink faucet. I had a small drip coming from the cold water shut off valve below the sink. No matter how I tightened or loosened it, the screw in front and the knob itself, it would still drip slowly. So I figuered I would just replace the valve. I bought a...

Bathroom sink hot water shut-off valve [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a house on columns. In following the instructions for removing a bathroom sink faucet I turned the shut-off valves off. The cold side did not run, but I am getting a drip from the hot side... a drop every second or two. I tried shutting off the supply downstairs. But the drip persists....

View more questions Search