Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellarelli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Platonic Relationship
    Hello,

I'm looking for some insight on a current issue I'm facing.

Here goes, I've been involved in an platonic relationship off and on with this guy for about 13 years now.

But, for the past year and a half we have become closer than we ever had been before.

I have always had strong feelings for him since the first time we met which was 19 years ago.

I'm in a position now where I'm am very much in love with him and scared to address that I want more of an commitment because I don't feel he's ready for that.

So, I'm just asking for your thoughts on the subject that can shed some light on my dilema.

Thank you and it is greatly appreciated!
    Paola_17 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Nov 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Well in my opinion 13 years is a pretty long time and by now he should have some idea of where he might want to take things with you. But again always keep your options open because you can't be waiting around for anyone. If you wish you could ask him how feels towards you. I believe you have the right to know. :cool: but try not to pressure the guy, they get scared... :p
    ellarelli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 11:05 PM

Thank you for your advice Paola, but that's my problem I'm afraid to directly approach the subject only because after all this time and he tells me that he's not ready for something more than I would have to let him go and the friendship and I value our friendship. Our friendship is what makes us so good together. I know I won't be able to stay friends with him not loving him the way that I do now.
    Paola_17 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Nov 16, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Well its always better to take the risk then keep on wondering what if.
    What if you would have asked him
    What if he feels the same...
    Unless u approach him about the situation, you would never really know.
    I know you might feel afraid about asking him because you are not sure
    Of what his reaction might be, but if you really feel for this guy, you should take your chances.. . because you never know. Besides whatever way he feels about the situation it would make things clear to you, if you should move on to something new, or wait until he's ready.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

After all these years, if you have no honest communications, and are not willing to take a risk, then you will always be on the outside looking in.

You will either continue as friends, let each other go, or come to a conclusion, that has to be dealt with.

However it ends up, at least you can make a plan for your future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship problems in 2nd week of relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some meaningful advice on my situation. If not, I really don't know what to do. The whole summer, a girl I work with had been trying to hook me up with this friend of hers who was interested in me. I saw a picture of her, and she was cute.. But everyone is cute, so if I...

After a 4 year relationship I got tired of my relationship and broke up! What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I’m a gay guy (36 yo) and I dated for 4 years this BI guy(40 yo), at the beginning it was a bit hard for me, I’m very comfortable with being gay! Came out 8 years ago, any way, at the beginning of the relationship I had to pretend in front of his friends that we were just friends, some times after...

Platonic Relationship [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, answer me this question. Is it possible for a single guy of 28 to have a very close friendship and platonic relationship with a woman of 31yrs but who just happens to be married? I’ve known her now for over 4yrs and we work together. I’ve always thought of her as a very close friend and...

Relationship [ 15 Answers ]

My friend is dating this guy I like. Their off and on dating would if they broke up for good should I go head and ask or wait. lovequestioner

Is it a Relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

Eight months back a girl (25 yrs) contacted me (26) through some dating website, showing her interest in me. Since I was about to look for something new after my last breakup, I decided to give a shot. We started talking first through email and then phone. Both of us really enjoyed talking and had...

View more questions Search