Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Outdoor security camera
    Does anyone have any suggestions concerning purchasing and installing an outside security camera? There seem to be a lot of systems out there and I'm pretty much lost when I'm looking at the various features.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 01:14 PM

What do you want it to do?

The mundane is display on a monitor?

To

Video frame motion sensing and recording footage to a DVR type device standalone or PC based. Infared Illumination so it sees in the dark. And the ability to see the video at any time on your cell phone. I think paging when motion is detected is available too.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    What do you want it to do?

The mundane is display on a monitor?

to

Video frame motion sensing and recording footage to a DVR type device standalone or PC based. Infared Illumination so it sees in the dark. And the ability to see the video at any time on your cell phone. I think paging when motion is detected is available too.

Let's see - I want an outside security cam that records. It's for my house so I don't think I need anything terribly complicated, just something that would scan part of my property. Ability to see in the dark would be good but I have automatic floodlights on the house so I don't know if that is necessary.

I don't need paging or cell phone, just a "simple" video, maybe a photo every X seconds (which somebody mentioned in the store). Something I would like view, skip through, see if there's been any activity.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 02:57 PM

A little about cameras:

Light level and field of view would have to be known.

Usually IR illuminated cameras when activated will show subjects in black and white even if it's a color camera.

Cameras come in B&W and color.

Cameras have the ability to be adjusted remotely with a pan and tilt system or are fixed mounted.

The "old style" cameras use a siamese cable that delivers power and returns video that's viewable as composite video.

Newer camera's are IP based and send video over network cabeling.

Out the door is VCR based time lapse systems and in the door are DVR's or Digital video recorders.

Any questions so far?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 02:58 PM

A little about cameras:

Usually IR illuminated cameras when activated will show subjects in black and white even if it's a color camera.

Cameras have the ability to be adjusted remotely with a pan and tilt system or are fixed mounted.

The "old style" cameras use a siamese cable that delivers power and returns video that's viewable as composite video.

Out the door is VCR based time lapse systems and in the door are DVR's or Digital video recorders.

Any questions so far?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
    A little about cameras:

Any questions so far?

Lots of them but at least I have a CLUE what to ask about - any idea of price range for the whole system?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 03:51 PM

Take a look here:

Digital video recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll post something else later from a catalog I have.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Take a look here:

Digital video recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll post something else later from a catalog I have.

Maybe it would be easier if you would just come over and sit on my roof with a camera - ? :D Thanks - I'll check the site out.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 05:35 PM
    The heart of a system might be a 4-channel MPEG-4 DVR.
    Example prices are $290/420/489 with 0/160/25 GB Hard drive.

This system is capable of 4 cameras and 1 audio.
    Remote notification via email and motion. You apparently set up a grid for motion.
    View live via web browser
    PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) Control

This piece you have to get a hold of the manual and read and MAKE sure it meets your needs.

No wire or installation.

I don't know if it contains a camera power supply.`

Cameras are all over the map. Cameras may not include lenses. A camera with IR and 100' range is about $130.
    An IR camera with a 300 foot range is about $400.

I went searching the internet when I had nothing better to do and most outfits don't have manuals available, but the more respected brands do.

I don't have the expertise to select a particular camera and lens combination. Optics is an area I never really studied. I did spend some time to try to understand prescriptions for glasses except the corrections for astigmatism. I also did the measurements that an optician would do and essentially got the same values.

You definitely need to know how far and how wide you need to be able to see and from what vantage point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor deck security rail height [ 4 Answers ]

I am from Illinois. I want to build an oudoor deck for a friend in Maryland. The deck will be roughly 6' above grade. I say that at this height a 42" security rail along the perimiter of the deck is required by code. Others disagree, suggesting it needs to be only 36" high. What can you tell me...

Security camera [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you for your response. We have installed a camera in the front but cannot get it to record. I have the TV on AUX but the VCR (because our DVD does not record) I cannot get to set on AUX. So we can only vew the front of our house. Any suggestions on how to hook up the VCR to the TV with...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

Home Security Camera [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking to install an outdoor security/surveillance camera to monitor my driveway and cars. I see a lot of cameras on the market that provide day and night surveillance but I have no way of assessing what would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on cameras? ...

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

View more questions Search