Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpmommy Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2008, 09:14 AM
    ancient mexican copper coin
    I have a copper coin from the teotihucan culture of ancient Mexico. It is a 20 copia piece, no year. I need a value, date, anything.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 09:37 AM

Sorry but there was no coin exchange in prehispanic mexico. Minting coins for trade came into effect after the Spaniards took over commerce. Your copper coin can't be from ancient mexican culture.

Prehispanic Mexico had a well-organized tax and commercial exchange system with several exchange media. Cacao, the most accepted and widespread, was used for accounts and charges in lots of twenty. Also used were jade beads or jadeita, known as chalchihuis, coarse cotton blankets or patolcauchtli, duck feather quills filled with gold powder, and hatchets or copper shears in the shape of the Greek letter tau.

The use of cacao as both food and money made it so valuable that it was counterfeited. Bulk cacao payments were often altered using lower-quality cacao, or part of the cacao grain content was even removed and replaced with mud. Nonetheless, cacao was the most widespread and accepted medium of exchange in Mesoamerica and the Caribbean.

Nov 16, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Teotihucan copper coin
    If this coin isn't from this ancient culture, why does it have that word, the pyramid of the sun, and a bird with a snake. It has the words Estados unda Mexicana on the front. I found a silver copy of the exact coin on the internet, but no copper one.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 11:47 PM

bpmommy - Does this coin have a date on it thsat you can give me ,that would sure help
    A lot Thanks and have a great day and GOD BLESS :::F.B.E.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Hi, bpmommy!

Your threads were merged together in order to avoid confusion on the site. This place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. Please do keep further discussion about what you have confined to this thread now.

Flying Blue Eagle, now that the threads have been merged, you should have more of an idea as to the information that's been exchanged.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 09:51 PM

Bpmommy _ I don't have the book here that will go back that far and father, I will have to go to the libery to check the book out , I will try to get it tomorrowand start studying it to see what I can find out and get back with you tomorrow night :: Im not very familyer with coins from down in mexico and further down , mostly the anceient ones , But I love a good one like this one ,I may even learn something
    What TICKLE has wrote is making me to think that he knows what he's talking about,and is causeing me to be even more curious , I will get back to you on this matter though :: Have a good day and GOD BLESS F.B.E. THANKS CLOUGH , I wish she could post a picture of both sides ,so we all could see it . F.B.E.
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 03:59 AM

Aztecs or Mayans did not mint coins, flying blue eagle. The OP stated there is spanish writing on the coin. Aztecs, Mayans did not speak spanish, nor have a written language so the coin can't be from ancient mexico. Coins weren't used until the Spanish occupation.

ms. tickle
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 04:39 AM

Hopefully, she'll be posting a couple of images so that we can see what it really is.

Nov 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle View Post
    Bpmommy _ I dont have the book here that will go back that far and father, I will have to go to the libery to check the book out , I will try to get it tomorrowand start studying it to see what I can find out and get back with you tomorrow night :: Im not very familyer with coins from down in mexico and futher down , mostly the anceient ones , But I love a good one like this one ,I may even learn something
    What TICKLE has wrote is makeing me to think that he knows what hes talking about,and is causeing me to be even more curious , I will get back to you on this matter though :: Have a good day and GOD BLESS F.B.E. THANKS CLOUGH , I wish she could post a picture of both sides ,so we all could see it . F.B.E.
    Hi, here is a pic of the coin. Hope it helps. Please email me and let me know what you find out, also let me know if the pics do not show. [Personal email address removed for privacy.]

Name:  DSCI0032.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  72.6 KB
    Name:  DSCI0034.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  70.6 KB
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:29 PM

Lovely fresh looking coin, probably commemorative for some reason. Marked as estados unidos mexicanos meaning United Mexican States and the coin contains the official seal of the Mexican Federation.

Ancient s. anmerican natives did not speak spanish, nor mint coins, their commerce was marked other ways as I said. Estados unidos mexicanos is spanish.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Hello bp:

For what it's worth, in 1824 a republican constitution was drafted creating the United Mexican States with Guadalupe Victoria as its first President.

So, your coin is no older than that. I have no idea what Copias are, though.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Hi again, bpmommy!

Great job of taking pictures of what you have and also posting them on this site! I've enlarged the images and posted them below so that we can take an even better look at what you have. I did need to remove your personal email address from a previous post though. I would hate to see you get spammed because your email address was visible on this website. We also like to keep things right on the threads here so that anyone who has a similar question might also benefit by the answers that have been given.

Thanks!

Name:  Mexican Coin A - Use.jpg
Views: 4149
Size:  204.7 KB

Name:  Mexican Coin B - Use.jpg
Views: 3976
Size:  208.1 KB
    Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 06:21 AM

Yes, I see Teohtichlan (sp) at the bottom of the pyramid referring to the original aztec city started in the lake becoming Mexico City. It is on the coin because it is their heritage.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 06:35 AM

I have researched for what you have and am still not finding anything.

Themes of eagles on Mexican coins aren't uncommon.

Estados Unidos Mexicanos - Google Image Search

Estados Unidos Mexicanos 20 Coin - Google Image Search

What you have, doesn't have a year on it, though...
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 07:28 PM

bpmommy - I got my book out on " worlds most popular coins " and I could find no coins made in any country in south america that has that denominition or the words ( COPia ) on them . I spoke with a spanish teacher at a high school very well and I told her that I was thinking that the word ( copia ) means copy in spanish and she said that it does :: The first coins struck in mexico was struck at the mexico city mint, They appeared durning the REIGN of ( CHARLES AND JOANNA< UP TO THE REIGN OF FERDINAND V11 IN 1808 to 1821 :: CHARLES AND JOANNA REIGNED FROM 1521 through 1556
    This still has me bumfuzzled and IM not threw yet . There is still one more book to look at SO Don't TAKE THIS FOR GRANET YET :: I DO THINK THAT IT IS LIKE I SAID LAST NIGHT THAT TICKLE HAS THE RIGHT ANSWERS SO FAR , BOY I LOVE A GOOD ONE LIKE THIS ONE HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    THANKS FOR YOU ALS IN PUT INTO THIS ONE < CLOUGH <TICKLE < THOSE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD PICTURES ::: F.B.E.

Nov 23, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Hey, can you let me know any more on this coin, I see others similar on eBay for $30-50, however, the bird is different, the pyramid is different. I really need to know since I have the option to trade this coin for items or sell it for what it's worth.

bpmommy - I got my book out on " worlds most popular coins " and I could find no coins made in any country in south america that has that denominition or the words ( COPia ) on them . I spoke with a spanish teacher at a high school very well and I told her that I was thinking that the word ( copia ) means copy in spanish and she said that it does :: The first coins struck in mexico was struck at the mexico city mint, They appeared durning the REIGN of ( CHARLES AND JOANNA< UP TO THE REIGN OF FERDINAND V11 IN 1808 to 1821 :: CHARLES AND JOANNA REIGNED FROM 1521 thru 1556
    This still has me bumfuzzled and IM not threw yet . there is still one more book to look at SO DONT TAKE THIS FOR GRANET YET :: I DO THINK THAT IT IS LIKE I SAID LAST NIGHT THAT TICKLE HAS THE RIGHT ANSWERS SO FAR , BOY I LOVE A GOOD ONE LIKE THIS ONE HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    THANKS FOR YOU ALS IN PUT INTO THIS ONE < CLOUGH <TICKLE < THOSE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD PICTURES ::: F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 10:01 PM

bpmommy - IV got to stop by the libery tomorrow and get a coin book from there that will go back that far . And hopefulu tomorrow night I will know something . I go to the dogtor in the big city tomorrow , so I WILL BE ABLE TO STOP AT THE LIBERY ;; HAVE A NICE DAY TOMORROW :: SAND GOD BLESS
    F.B.E.

Nov 24, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I am finding the exact coin on eBay under "copper mexican 20 coin", it will say "0" results, but then look at the pics. They are identical except for the word centavos and a date is on these coins. If my coin is a copy, then what does that mean? Copy of a 20 cent coin? Could this actually be a souveneir that has no date and the currency name was changed?

bpmommy - IV got to stop by the libery tomorrow and get a coin book from there that will go back that far . and hopefulu tomorrow night I will know something . I go to the dogtor in the big city tomorrow , so I WILL BE ABLE TO STOP AT THE LIBERY ;; HAVE A NICE DAY TOMORROW :: SAND GOD BLESS
    F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 08:24 PM

bpmommy - Here is one place you can go,( Amazon.com:copia ) If you go to a map and put in copia it will put you down in the very south east side of mexico , Dowen where the aztecs were located back before the spainerds come over to mexico , Every thing that I found on the inter there thios last couple days leads me to believer that this is a souvenir that is given out at the park like area to people that visit and.. ; Now every thing leads to copia meanms ( COPY ) I found things like _ art - picture movies - books ,- writings - and they were called copia, it was things that were copied . IM going to go back and check a couple things I for got to write down to tell you ,be back in a while ::: F.B.E.
    hbolero Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    9 out of 10

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to cap a copper water line: compression fitting or copper cap? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi all, Unsuccessfully tried to cap a copper water line by soldering a pre-soldered cap onto the end. Took all the proper steps, cleaned the ends of the pipe and fitting first, then applied flux around both. Wasn't quite sure what I should be heating, so I just heated everything. After my first...

1863 copper coin [ 2 Answers ]

I have a copper coin that states on front--"For public Accomodations" dated 1863 with a head of a woman on it and on the back states--"United States Copper" and has a picture of an Eagle on it. Anyone have any ideas as to what this is and if its worth anything? Thanks.:)

Sweating copper to copper valve connections [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing my shower with a Moen system that has a Moentrol three function transfer valve Model 3330. The inlet and outlets are copper to copper. Other than removing the cartridges prior to sweating is their any particular trick to heating those connections on the valve? Thanks very much for...

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search