Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momof2isme Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Landlord not paying for promised services
    My husband, my two small children and myself moved in to an apartment at the end of August. It was advertised as gated, water, sewage and garbage paid, cable paid, individual alarms in each unit, etc. (We came from out of state and basically rented it sight unseen) One month later we received a notice saying that we now had to pay for water, sewage, and garbage. The following month we got a notice that as of Dec 1st we have to pay for our own cable. After unloading our stuff and actually looking around, we saw that the gates on the "gated community" didn't even close and the box had been run over. (They still don't work to this day, but the box has been removed) And the alarms are through another company and working class people can't afford the service. The pictures showed nice new apartments with plush carpeting, We have carpet that is patched together with runs in it. The appliances aren't new like shown, they're at least 25 years old and have been "touched up" with paint because they are so banged up. They did replace the old stove (with one identical to it.) Is there anyway I can get out of my lease? I am NEVER renting off the internet again! Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 02:29 PM

Well this is easy, if you lease says that they pay all of them, they have to, you write them a letter telling them that they may change the terms after the lease expires but during lease they are bound by the terms.

They can not change your lease after it is signed.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 07:40 AM

I agree with Fr Chuck. Whatever they agreed to in the original terms of the lease is what they have to abide by. If they don't, you follow the proper procedure in your lease and state laws of notifying them of the problems and follow all the way through up to being able to break the lease. If they try to come after you - you have all the proof you need to win your case. If they don't return your deposit and/or reimburse you for the stuff they were supposed to pay for that YOU had to pay for you have an excellent case to sue them and recover damages.

As far as the appearance of the apartment... you're just kind of stuck on that. BEFORE you signed the lease would have been the time to make complaints about that. And then if they don't resolve your concerns you DON'T SIGN the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the most asked questions on customer services [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to know what are the most asked questions on customer services representative questions

Landlord promised to give lease now giving a hard time [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I live in Queens, NY and I moved into my apt in September. My landlord promised to give us a lease that she was drafting it up. Now she is playing dumb as if she never said it. HELP!! I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am not protected because I don't have a lease. Now the...

Cost of house keeping services [ 1 Answers ]

I'm curious as to the going rate of house keeping services in Houston, TX. I'd like a breakdown per bathroom and per room, even as far as shelves to be dusted and windows to be cleaned, but anything would help.

Landlord not paying back security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All. I have been renting a commercial building in Toronto, Ontario. Earlier in the year, my landlord sold the place with my lease to this new landlord. And last month, we have moved out since it's the end of term for our lease. I've paid all my rent and fulfill all my obligations. But this new...

Paying less rent for unfulfilled landlord agreements [ 1 Answers ]

At the beginning of our lease when we decided to move into our condo, my boyfriend and I went to look at the place. We really liked it but wanted some things done and offered to pay more rent to have these things done before we moved in. the original rent was 800 a month. We offered to pay 840 to...

View more questions Search