Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    realmofdarkness Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
    High child support payments
    Hi I am in need of advise for a friend who is in desperate need. I have a friend who currently has a child support case in the state of Missouri. He currently resides in the state of Florida. His payments were based on how much he made as a trucker when he was living in Missouri. A couple of months ago, he ended up getting very sick and in the hospital for a while, causing him to loose his job and his truck. Since then he has gotten better but he is no longer making that kind of money as when he was a trucker. He is trying to work 3 part time jobs and barely makes $200 a week. Not to mention, he hasn't been able to work 2 of those jobs in about a month because there is no work available. The little bit of income that he gets he uses for bills and child support payments. However, he recently received a letter from the government asking of him $900 a month for child support, which of course he cannot afford. He has tried to lower the amount of child support in order to be able to make the payments but the state of Missouri refuses to help because he is residing in Florida and the state of Florida refuses to help because the case is in Missouri. If anyone can please guide us in the right direction or if you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 08:08 PM

He has to go back to court and request a modification of the court order. He can not do this on the phone.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 08:30 PM

The first thing I usually do in cases like this is check to see that jurisdiction is still proper in the state that issued the order (here Missouri). So, do the child and mom live in Missouri? Has the order ever been modified?

If the mom and kid reside in Missouri then your friend has to go there to modify the order. If the mom and kid are not living in Missouri, your friend can modify the order in the state the mom and kid live in. If the kid and mom are in Florida you can modify in Florida. That's about it.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 08:46 PM

All of the advice above is correct. He has to have it modified in the state the has jurisdiction and that means he has to go to court. So he first has to get a court date then when he has his court date bring in the proof that he is making significantly less money than before.
    realmofdarkness Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Thank you for your help guys. It is greatly appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support payments [ 1 Answers ]

I was ordered to pay $50 a month for child support that I simply can not afford.if I pay $20 a month for now can I get introuble for not paying the whole $50.will they see that I'm trying to make an effort with what I have to work with?

Child Support Payments [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question on child support payments. My boyfriend had a son with his ex-wife in the state of Texas. She has now remarried and has not allowed him to see his son for the past several years, stating that his son was getting confused having two dads. And for the sake of his son's...

No child support payments [ 6 Answers ]

Here is a short version of my problem. I got pregnant, then I got married, husband beat me and cheated on me, got divorced in Ohio. Well the lawyer said that since I was pregnant when I was married and when I was filling for divorce that My Ex husband was automatically the father. I gave birth at...

Future Child Support Payments [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago during my divorce proceedings my now ex-husband was ordered to pay spousal maintenance for 5 years and child support until children are 18. He paid on time for the first two years but a little over a year ago he stopped making payments. At the time of our divorce he had a very...

View more questions Search