Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetsorrow Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Nov 15, 2008, 07:40 PM
    My rat has a swollen eye
    Hi all,

Ok so one of my pet rats has a really swollen eye. I have read up on some infections that rats get and some of them can be fatal. I called the only vet in the area and they said they wouldn't know what to do because they don't specialize in pets such as rats because they are a pest more than a pet here where I live, so I can't even get her any antibiotics or find out if it will go away on it's own. I'm really worried because I don't want her to die but I don't know what to do.:confused:

I'm not even sure how she got it, some sites say it's most likely a bacterial infection they can get when the cage isn't kept clean, but I keep their cage very clean and change the bedding regularly. They are even litter trained so they hardly mess their cage up anyway. I'm really worried so anyhelp would be really really REALLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    northman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 08:58 PM

Hi,
    I worked for a bird and exotic animal hospital in Canada... we treat pet rats all the time. Its true that most infections are bacterial... and most need anti-biotics. These are sometimes systemic, other times topical ones will do. If you have absolutely no access to a vet you can try polysporin drops, three times a day for 7 days. If there is no improvement after a few days it is likely not working, but do a full week to be sure. If it resolves close to day 7 then do 10 days. Since you do not know whether there is a scratch in the eye ( a possiblilityin any trauma), you cannot use anti-inflammatories.
    Try removing the bedding in exchange for paper towels or soft tea towels, except in the litter where recycled paper litter is the best. Any kind of wood chips give off irrititating dust. Try talking to a horse or cow or chicken vet.. they are used to treating all the barn animals, and may agree to treating an eye. An eye is an eye after all...
    Good luck.
    sweetsorrow Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Nov 16, 2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I'll give your suggestions a go. I do already use recycled paper pellets in their litter tray and tissue for bedding though so I'll have a look for the drops and see how she goes.

Thanks again for the help :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Swollen all over [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this so here goes... my ankles, stomach, fingers and face have been very swollen or bloated. I've always been the type to retain water, but lately my ankles and heals hurts and feel very tight and sometimes I have pains in them. I look like I am 7 months pregnant (I'm...

Swollen testicle? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I feel like I have 3 testicles in my scrotum? I can feel the 2 real ones but on the far right there is something there that feels swollen. When I push on it, it shrinks like its fluid filled, but its pretty big, like the size of my other testicles. Can someone please help me figure this out...

Swollen ankles [ 2 Answers ]

Why are my ankles and calfs so swollen

Swollen, and heavy [ 2 Answers ]

Ugh. For the last few days, I've had this weird, uncomfortable feeling that my skin is too tight or that I'm all swollen. My feet and legs feel as if I'm wearing very tight socks, even when they are bare. My hands feel very tight and swollen when I clench them. My arms and legs feel heavy and it...

View more questions Search