Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desertshark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 07:30 PM
    ETG Test with one kidney
    Ok llike others I am on probation and freaking out like crazy! Reason is well like an idiot I had a beer mind you that was one 12oz. Light beer. The next day an EtG test was sprung on me. Now I only have one kidney cause the other was given to my fater 11 months ago. I had it while having one of my crazy cleaning frinzys. Was wondering if it will still show up or is it going to show up very high? Now I do have an interlock in my car and wouldent that be a source of backup in a sense that I am not like binge drinking?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by desertshark View Post
    Ok llike others i am on probation and freaking out like crazy!! Reason is well like an idiot i had a beer mind you that was one 12oz. light beer. The next day an etg test was sprung on me. Now i only have one kidney cause the other was given to my fater 11 months ago. I had it while having one of my crazy cleaning frinzys. Was wondering if it will still show up or is it going to show up very high? Now i do have an interlock in my car and wouldent that be a source of backup in a sence that i am not like binge drinking?

Kidney function is involved in how fast alcohol clears, of course, but I am assuming you have a high functioning kidney or you wouldn't have been cleared to donate.

I don't understand what you mean by "a sourceof backup in a sense that [you] are not binge drinking."

It would appear that one of the conditions of your probation was that you not drink AT ALL or else you wouldn't be getting random tests and you violated. Drinking/driving/interlock are a different story. People have posted here who have the interlock but don't have routine testing - you are not in that category, obviously.

Don't know the time frame between the beer and the test so it's hard to "guess" if you'll pass.
    desertshark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 08:51 AM
    I would have to say from last drink till test was approx. 12 hours. The other thing I failed to mention is my new job is with used car parts. My job is to clean these parts with many different solvents and cleaners. I only mention this because I am worried that this may affect it as well.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 09:45 AM
    I would have to say from last drink till test was approx. 12 hours. The other thing i failed to mention is my new job is with used car parts. My job is to clean these parts with many different solvents and cleaners. I only mention this because i am worried that this may affect it as well.

You should have gotten a list of what to avoid and/or report to your PO BEFORE you are/were tested.

Here's what I've posted before about the blood test:

"One to three ounces of alcohol may still be detectable in the blood ten to twelve hours after consumption IF the person is NOT a habitual drinker.

A habitual drinker’s blood and internal organs will "store" the alcohol from successive drinking sessions, and it takes much longer—sometimes up to a week—to eliminate enough alcohol from the system to pass a blood alcohol screening.

To metabolize alcohol out of your system, it must pass through your liver. A perfectly-functioning liver can metabolize an ounce of alcohol per hour—about one standard drink. Heavy drinkers, whose liver may be impaired, may metabolize much less than that, and would need to allow a much longer time before taking a blood alcohol test."

I know there are many sites but I think the info is basically the same.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 09:58 AM
    The other thing i failed to mention is my new job is with used car parts. My job is to clean these parts with many different solvents and cleaners.
    Just as an aside, I hope you are using these solvents in a well ventilated space, preferably a hood with a heavy duty fan. Most organic solvents are carcinogenic and probably also bad for your liver and kidney. I was exposed to a lot of solvents in my 20s--both in the lab and working on engines-- and I regret that I didn't take more precautions.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Just as an aside, I hope you are using these solvents in a well ventilated space, preferably a hood with a heavy duty fan. Most organic solvents are carcinogenic and probably also bad for your liver and kidney. I was exposed to a lot of solvents in my 20s--both in the lab and working on engines-- and I regret that I didn't take more precautions.

Agree with you and "Twinkie" - I'm pretty familiar with kidney transplants and I'm a little confused about working with solvents following donating - and before as well, for that matter - as well as someone with a history of alcohol being a kidney donor. Alcohol consumption is right up there on the list of questions and with an arrest I would think it would have been obvious.

Of course, different areas probably have different criteria so maybe I just answered my own question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 02:12 PM

If you are using mineral spirits or petro based cleaners, read the rules, it is illegal for them to make you use any of these unless you have a self contained breating filter ( full mask) with gloves. You are breaking OSHA rules if you use them without that.

Today most of the better auto parts use water based cleaners, which are safer for breating.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:38 PM

If you had a ETG test and you are sure that is what it is not just a regular alcohol test.. YES it will come back positve. It detects ethanol for up to 72-80 hours.. it doesn't matter if it was a light beer. BUT if the cleaners you have to work with have ethanol in them.. you would have more than likely come up positive anyway. Did you tell your PO about the type of work you do? He needs to be informed if you are ever even AROUND it. The test is THAT sensitive.
    mraskme Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Jan 6, 2009, 12:13 PM

The ETg test might be that sensitive but I drank a 6pak of 16 oz beers ( a 5.2% alcohol beer ) one afternoon / evening and still passed my ignition interlock devices test the next morning so I think they are just to keep you from driving drunk or drinking while driving .
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mraskme View Post
    The ETg test might be that sensitive but I drank a 6pak of 16 oz beers ( a 5.2% alcohol beer ) one afternoon / evening and still passed my ignition interlock devices test the next morning so I think they are just to keep you from driving drunk or drinking while driving .

I'm surprised in view of this:

After alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream it leaves the body in two ways. A total of about ten percent leaves through the breath, perspiration, and urine. The remainder is broken down through the process known as metabolism.

The rate at which alcohol is metabolized is the same for virtually everyone regardless of their height, weight, sex, race or other such characteristics.

Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of .015 of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) every hour. 1 Thus a person with a very high BAC of .15 will have no measurable alcohol in the bloodstream after ten hours (.15 divided by .015 = 10). Here are some other examples:

BAC Level Metabolism Time in Hours
    .10 6.66
    .08 5.33
    .05 3.33
    .02 1.33

Jan 6, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm surprised in view of this:

After alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream it leaves the body in two ways. A total of about ten percent leaves through the breath, perspiration, and urine. The remainder is broken down through the process known as metabolism.

The rate at which alcohol is metabolized is the same for virtually everyone regardless of their height, weight, sex, race or other such characteristics.

Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of .015 of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) every hour. 1 Thus a person with a very high BAC of .15 will have no measurable alcohol in the bloodstream after ten hours (.15 divided by .015 = 10). Here are some other examples:

BAC Level Metabolism Time in Hours
    .10 6.66
    .08 5.33
    .05 3.33
    .02 1.33
    That surprised me also , My best guess ( and it is only a guess ) is that perhaps the device isn't sensitive enough to detect any trace of alcohol , but could detect it in a quantity that may affect your driving .
    bippybird Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 09:06 PM

I drank Saturday night and had a test sprung on me JUST today at 7pm. Its been 88 hours. Now I'm freaking out too.
    bippybird Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    If you had a ETG test and you are sure that is what it is not just a regular alcohol test..YES it will come back positve. It detects ethanol for up to 72-80 hours..it doesn't matter if it was a light beer. BUT if the cleaners you have to work with have ethanol in them..you would have more than likely come up positive anyway. Did you tell your PO about the type of work you do? He needs to be informed if you are ever even AROUND it. The test is THAT sensitive.
    You seem to know what you are talking about. I drank 88 hours ago and think I just had my urine sent off for an EtG? Am I going to be okay?

Jan 8, 2009, 11:45 AM

What I'm reading online , and some of it is from the labs that run these tests , The tests can detect the metabolite EtG from as far back as 76 to 80 hours . I would think if the tests could go back farther they would say " 4 days " but they are pretty specific with the " up to 80 hours" phrase . You can give a positive if you have had cough meds or other meds w/ alcohol , use alcohol based hand cleaners or , as mentioned earlier , use alcohol based cleaners on engine parts and the like .
    Of course the safer bet will always be to not drink .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it Kidney infection [ 2 Answers ]

On Sunday I started having severe pain in my upper abdomen going through to my back (similar to a gall stone attack - which I had my gallbladder removed just 5 days before) I took tylenol3 - which did nothing Also on Sunday I starting having to frequently go to the washroom and found that when I...

Kidney Stone or what? [ 23 Answers ]

About 6-8 months ago I went to the doctor because every time I went to the bathroom I would have a bloody stool. I had a colonoscopy done and they said everything was fine and nothing was wrong and the blood went away. About a 2 months ago I was rushed to the E.R. after experiencing the worse pain...

Kidney failure [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! My dog has been diagnosed with kidney failure. She will not eat and rarely drink or go to the bathroom. She just lays around, coughs, and vomits flem. The doctor says we need to put her down. The doctor had given her some medicine and vitamins. I am wondering if there is ANYTHING...

Kidney Infections [ 1 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a severe kidney infection and treated twice with anti botics. The last antbiotic was so hard on my system it left me with joint aches and retaining water. I just don't know, I still feel horrible it has been March 1, 2007, The drug was Levaquin and the docs are saying maybe the...

Kidney stones [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any home remedies for dissolving or aiding in the passage of kidney stones, other than drinking lots of water? noboat

View more questions Search