Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RuthC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 06:07 PM
    How to get out of a lease
    Hi there

I am in a lease at the moment with another person who I can no longer get on with and want to move out. I spoke with the landlord and he is happy to remove my name from the lease and set up a new one for my room mate. My room mate will not sign the new contract and insists on me paying my share until the end of the lease. If we had broken the lease together we would have probably had to pay only 2 months rent but this way I'm going to pay a lot more, is there anything I can do? I wish I could get on with the person and work it out but it has gone to far and I'm miserable, please help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 06:13 PM

Not really, you are in a legal contract, so unless you can find someone to move in, or get your room mate to agree to take over the lease, you can be held liable for it.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 12:17 PM

Well, my thought is to "convince" your roommate to sign the new lease (assuming it's a viable option, they can afford it, etc.). You know the saying "money talks". Otherwise I don't really see any way to get out of it.

You can always just bail out and hope neither one of them actually comes after you legally. But if they did, they'd have a case against you.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 01:28 PM

The other (less moral, I must admit) way is to convince your roommate that you aren't the person s/he wants to be living with anymore.

It can get messy, playing that kind of dirty game, but it can also work. The bottom line is to figure out how important leaving is to you and what lengths you are willing to go to in order to get one with your life, without a roommate.

Anecdotal: An ex girlfriend of mine decided that she wanted to make my life difficult when we broke up so refused to move out (wasn't on lease) so I invited a female friend of mine over (platonic), went behind a closed door for an hour, had her change into the shirt that I had been wearing and sent her out to the kitchen to get a bottle of water. Voilą - roommate convinced that I wasn't the person she wanted to be living with anymore.

Morally gray, but effective all the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not on lease. Am I responsible for fees after ROOMMATE voluntarily breaks lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in CA. I have been living with my roommate for a year and a half and her name is the only one on the lease. We both moved into the place together after having just met, but she moved in 1 month early, paid the full deposit and was and still is the only name that has ever appeared on the...

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

View more questions Search