Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 21, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Full Moon Effect
    I don't know if this belongs under folklore or astronomy LOL so please bear with me. I know I have heard that Emergency Rooms experience a measurable upsurge around a full moon. My office seems to get a lot more than the usual weirdness then too. I am wondering do other people or businesses feel some repeating effect of a full moon?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Yup my husband and father, who are both doctors, say the ER is much more busy on the full moon. Also my father says that he receives a lot more crisis calls at that time too, and more of his patients try to commit suicide around the full moon than at any other time, except Christmas, which is the worst for suicides.

And personally as a mom I've noticed the kids are more hyper around that time of the month, too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 21, 2006, 11:53 PM
    The Moon affects the ocean tides and in case you didn't notice we as humans are nothing but liquid enclosed with skin (how sexy is that picture?) So it is reasonable to assume that the Moon affects us also maybe in some strange and weird ways! AAAAAROOOHOOO! I love to howl when the moon is full!! It's the shaving after that pisses me off!:cool: :eek:
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jun 22, 2006, 07:12 AM
    I love the full moon.I always trandform into:
    Attached Images

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Honestly I wouldn't notice anything different happening on a full moon day/night unless it was pointed out to me.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 02:14 PM
    A friend of mine once worked in a mental hospital. He said that during a full moon the place went mad! And, a few of them that had to be restrained would indeed howl! It was so bad that during a full moon, staff would call in sick much more than the usual rate because it was down right scarry.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 22, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Just to offer an opposing viewpoint, there is a theory that the reason there appears to be a full moon effect is that people remember things more when they have the full moon to associate it to. In other words, people are more likely to remember things when they see a full moon because they stand out.

There have been studies to the effect as well. In one such study of a hospital's emergency room calls, it looked like there was indeed a full moon effect. However, the day the full moon fell on (forgot which day of the week) was typically more busy than the days of the week prior.

I'm still undecided myself.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 22, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Well, I know there was something I read (who knows where now LOL) that suggested in pre-electric lighting days that people were out more at night when the moon helped to light things up a bit. It suggested the extra night activity was carried forward culturally. But what I specifically seem to notice is more outright wierdness, not just more activity. :eek:
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 22, 2006, 06:20 PM
    My aunt predicted the birth of her kids according to the full moon. She took her due date, checked out when the full moon would fall and said the day she thought her son or daughter would be born. SHE WAS RIGHT! She said she would never make it past the full moon.

Personally, I think we are affected by it. Unfortunately I am not always the most quick to connect the dots. LOL
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Back in the 1800s and before, if a crime was committed on a full moon, the convicted could actually claim "lunacy" and the sentence would then be reduced. Kind of like our "temporary insanity" plea except the only form of proof of lunacy was whether there was a full moon that night.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
    The full moon does indeed have an effect on people. I for one can not talk properly when it's a full moon. My words all come out backwards like verbal deslexia. My Sister is the same way.
    However I do dance naked in the full moonlight:D
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2006, 01:24 AM
    I knew a lawyer that said they got many many calls when there was a full moon. There is definitely evidence showing that people do go crazy, or that the moon does effect many systems. As above answers said that we are made up of mostly water so it makes sense if the moon effects the tides that it would also effect us.
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jun 23, 2006, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Well, I know there was something I read (who knows where now LOL) that suggested in pre-electric lighting days that people were out more at night when the moon helped to light things up a bit. It suggested the extra night activity was carried forward culturally. But what I specifically seem to notice is more outright wierdness, not just more activity. :eek:

Like longer hair, longer teeth, white make up
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2006, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassie
    like longer hair, longer teeth, white make up
    And longer nails and toe nails and hairy skin :D
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 01:39 AM
    Curlyben unlocked this just so I could add something. I hate to see when science loses out due to underrepresentation.

I think the real reason is, as Northwind Dagas says, you associate it with a full moon because it is a full moon. If someone is a bit nutty when the moon isn't full, you don't associate it with that, and just shrug it off.
    This is the same effect as when some people claim that they are thinking of someone, and then their phone rings and it is the person they're thinking of. In this situation it's likely that they think of this person a lot, and they shrug off and don't remember the times when they were thinking of them and the phone didn't ring, and times when the phone did ring but it was someone different.
    We have a tendency to forget non-events, and thus we have a repository of "evidence" of 2 things happening simultaniously which we assume is a relationship.

As for the people saying that "the moon affects tides and our body is made of liquid too so there is a connection there", this really grinds my gears.
    Tides happen once a day, not once a month. It has absolutely nothing to do with moon phase. All that a full moon supplies is an increase in electromagnetic radiation reaching the Earth. Which isn't going to make anyone insane (the Sun happens to supply a bit of that stuff too).

I hope this helps add to the thread.
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Jan 19, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Personally I've never seen people act werid and go nut's, lol. Just because I have'nt seen doesn't mean it can't be true, however I agree with Capuchin. I think there I a more scientific and reasonable explanation to this phanomina. I mean, thus far I've heard hearsay. It's certainly an interesting topic of desscussion though.---sorry for my bad spelling.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    thus we have a suppository of "evidence" of 2 things happening simultaniously which we assume is a relationship.
    Did you mean repository? You do know what happens to a suppository, don't you? On second thought, maybe it's apt because you're telling people that they can shove their supposed "evidence" up their a$$. LOL I think you're probably right about it, by the way.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Haha yes, yes I did *edits*
    Good catch!
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 12, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Something I read "the night of the full moon releases your soul".
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 05:44 PM
    I worked 11 years as a respiratory therapist and was in the ER more often than not many nights. But the full moon was the busiest. More ccidents, more of what could be called the odd events - people trying to do something they ought not have tried, and more fight related personal injuries. The ER nurses used to say the zoo was open during the full moon. They were right.

When I went to college back in the 70's, there was a group of students who practiced the full moon release ritual. There was this huge boulder on the edge of the grounds, below was a deep cutoff and then some sand and then a creek. The dorm was within a stone's throw away from the boulder. My room faced the west and I could look out and see them practice this. At that time, celebrations like this were a taboo. When the nuns who ran the college finally found out, it ended - at least on that site.

Full Moon Release Ritual

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Harvest Moon [ 2 Answers ]

Sup. Id just like to know how to actually plant seeds on 'Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life' for gamecube. Any help would be great. Cheers Rost :rolleyes:

Questions about the moon? [ 17 Answers ]

I am doing a research project on the moon and need to receive answers from an expert. If you know a lot about astronomy please give me your opinion on these questions, even if you are not an expert it will help me to survey what people know about the moon. What is the future of moon exploration?...

Harvest Moon [ 8 Answers ]

I played Harvest Moon once on PS2, but I now have an XBox. Does anyone know of a game that is similar to Harvest Moon that I can play on XBox? Because as far as I know, it's not available on XBox. Thanks! :)

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Blue Moon [ 2 Answers ]

I've been trying to find out who owns the yacht Blue Moon since it was featured in a TV documentary.

View more questions Search