Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Alarm system phone connection
    After a power failure I had to disconnect the phone connection to my Esprit 738 Express alarm system because it makes a buzzing sound and the phone line goes dead, the phones start working again a minute or so after the alarm is disconnected.

Can I reset the panel or did it get fried...
    MTColl28734 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 03:24 AM

Does your system have a little square box, probably tan colored, with a wire going in one side and another with a phone-type plug on one end and some wires going to your panel on the other? That's called an RJ31X, and it could be your problem.

Try plugging a phone directly into the 31x. If your other phones go dead, the 31x is the problem. If you plug your system into it and the phones go dead, the panel is the problem.
    northman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 10:10 AM

I disconnected the cord that plugs into the RJ31x ,hooked a regular phone to it and once again had that buzzing sound ,so I guess that's the part that fried. I will replace that part and see what happens, thank's for your help !
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 03:36 PM

You may have a grounded protector, or one of the phone lines touching ground.
    Disconnect at "D Marc"(outside box) if hum goes away, problem is in house, if not, it is Telco Problem.
    MTColl28734 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Good point, Strat. I neglected to mention that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota Alarm System [ 4 Answers ]

Does a 2000 Toyota Rav4 have a keyless entry or do they have an alarm with keyless entry?

Which is the best home alarm system [ 4 Answers ]

We are having a new home built and we would like to install an alarm system. We are so remote it would take a officer 20-40 minutes to respond so we were thinking of using cameras so we can at least see who and maybe get a license plate number. Any suggestions or comments on which systems are...

Connecting DSC power 1832 alarm to phone line [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I have a DSC power series 1832 alarm system that I want to connect to a central monitoring station. I have connected it to the phne line via a RJ31X telephone jack and cord set. I set up the system to monitor the phone line such that it should report an error when the phone line is no...

Transferring Brinks Alarm System to Non-Monitored System [ 5 Answers ]

I understand that when you cancel your Brinks-monitored security system that they come and remove their equipment (which you apparently don't own) or you can buy all their equipment for $500. The equipment removal exposes unpainted walls and previously-covered holes. Is it possible to install a...

View more questions Search